Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Going back.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Going back..
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I called PP like you said I should and they said the test was probably fine but if I wanted I could come back and get tested again free of charge (the first was $35). Should I go back and do that? I ask because it seems strange that they'd offer to retest me for free.. Thanks.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why they would offer to retest you for free - that's something you'd need to ask the clinic. Offering to retest isn't unusual though; many clinics will do that if you don't feel confident in the result.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I probably should have mentioned in this post for anyone new reading it from my last post. I called after being tested the first time because I was watching the a different clock than the nurse doing the test and it didn't seem like she read the result quite at ten minutes (when it's stop posed to be read), it seemed more like 9 and a half minutes give or take a few seconds. The nurse I talked to on the phone said she was sorry it seemed like the test wasn't carried out properly and I could come back in the next day and retest free of charge if it'd make me feel better. So, my question was is it odd to offer retesting for free in that situation? I could call and ask if it is strange, but they are the ones who offered it so I'm sure they'd say it's normal. Should I be worried? Because I went back and got another test and I wouldn't want something to have been wrong with it because they didn't make me pay or something. Thanks.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dorey: it sounds, then, like you already decided on your own to go back and get retested?

If so, given what they said, I think that was a sound idea, but even more to the point, I'm so glad you were able to make that decision by yourself.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes I did decide to go. My issue wasn't with going back or not but rather I wanted to be sure it was legally okay and all. So you think it was okay that I did go back? I wouldn't want have been put in a health compromising situation.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you'd think there were any legal issues here you needed to be concerned with.

I also don't see that there really is a question of if it was okay to go back or not: you had the ability and opportunity to retest, and you took it. I don't see how doing so -- or not, especially given the big picture of this situation -- would have put your health at risk.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I guess since I'm unfamiliar with the health clinics, I didn't know if that was an appropriate thing of them to do, but if you say it was okay then I feel better about it. You are saying it was appropriate of them right? Sorry to keep asking I just wanna be sure I understand it.
Heather
Member # 3

It was certainly courteous, I'd say, and I don't see how offering to retest you because of your concerns would be inappropriate.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thank you. I'm sorry I just don't know the protocol I guess and wasn't sure if it was okay or not, but thank you for clearing that up. However when I did go to get retested, I made sure to time the test as best I could so I'd know the results were ones I could depend on. When I did this, I still came up with a time 20 or 30 seconds shorter than that ten minute mark the test is supposed to be read at. I talked to them about this twice, called the CDC about it, as well as another hotline. I didn't really get a direct answer and this is what you told me to do. Again, I do not want to cross boundaries at all but all I want is to move on and I can do that if I know the result is accurate. Again I'm so so sorry to ask this again but I have no where else to turn. Do you have any insight on whether or not I can trust my results? Thanks in advance.
Heather
Member # 3

I would say you can, yes. But then, I don't know what their responses to you were. So, really, I would privilege the conversations you had with the clinic over those had about this here.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Well the CDC just gave me a bunch of facts about HIV, none of which were about testing, then said that's all they had for me. The other hotline said they couldn't help me since I wasn't the direct purchaser of the product, and both times the clinic said it was probably fine but didn't really give me any answers, that's just what I gathered. That's why I am asking your opinion based on what I've told you about the test and I have all te info on it which I can give you as well if you need it. I understand the reading is accurate right at ten minutes so I guess what I want to know is if that 30 second or so would make a difference? And you don't think that 30 seconds would change the test?
Heather
Member # 3

I don't know any more about this than I have already shared with you, and I need you to hear me on that. I assure you, I am not withholding any information I have from you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

No I know you're not. And other than to say thanks, after this, I won't have any more to ask but based on what I've said can I go ahead and assume I'm negative? That's all I want, I swear it is. So badly. But I want to know with confidence that I can trust a negative result, that's all.
Heather
Member # 3

Like I already said before -- and really, I did say this already, so I do very much need you to understand that asking us to give the same answers to the same questions repeatedly isn't cool -- I see no reason why you cannot.

But if that isn't enough for you, then the person to talk to about this is not us, but the person or clinic providing your testing.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay well if you see no reason I can't trust it despite the info I've given, then I'll accept it. Thanks for understanding. All I wanted was to get past it so thank you. I'm glad you could reassure me. Believe it or not I never wanted to be a pest, I just wanted peace of mind. Thanks again for all your help.
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Hello again. My friend has yet anther question for you all about HIV because even with as much as I've learned from you all about it, I wasn't sure if what she described to me was an HIV risk or not. She was changing a tampon and the applicator wasn't working properly so she placed it in her vagina with her finger which meant it touched the inside of her vagina. She hadn't washed her hands directly before this, so she wanted to know if she could contract HIV this way? She said she was around a lot of people and nothing obvious (like nothing wet not a lot of something noticeable) was on her hand, but is this a possible mode of transmission? I told her I didn't think so because it's not transferred outside the body except with needles and large blood spills potentially, but since I wasn't sure I told her I'd ask you all. Thanks!
Heather
Member # 3

Did you send her to this thorough rundown? It makes very clear the way HIV is transmitted, and that it can ONLY be transmitted through direct contact with someone else's blood, vaginal fluids, semen or breast milk: Positively Informed: An HIV/AIDS Roundup

Just FYI, in the future, rather than asking for friends, or them asking you to ask us, we ask that people register their own accounts to ask questions directly. Thanks!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

That's what I thought. So that means her touching surfaces or brushing up against people then touching herself there couldn't result in transmission? Since its not direct contact? Just wanna be sure I'm giving her the right info. Also I'll definitely give her that link thanks! And I know I keep telling her to et an account but shes nervous. Hopefully this info will make her feel better so she will get one!!
Heather
Member # 3

Were you able to read that link for yourself? It makes very clear exactly what you're asking.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

It wasn't opening for some reason which is why I was hoping you could answer that question so I could give her the answer. And she may even more so need a straight answer for the particular situation than I usually do because shes so nervous.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry to bump, I don't mean to do it, but I wanted to say I got to a different computer and read the link with my friend. But she's still nervous because it didn't exactly address what she did, and she's not sure what exactly is different between what happened and direct contact. So would what happened with her putting a potentially dirty finger in her vagina be a risk? Sorry, I explained I didn't think it was direct contact but I think she just wants reassurance.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry to bump, I don't mean to do it, but I wanted to say I got to a different computer and read the link with my friend. But she's still nervous because it didn't exactly address what she did, and she's not sure what exactly is different between what happened and direct contact. So would what happened with her putting a potentially dirty finger in her vagina be a risk? Sorry, I explained I didn't think it was direct contact but I think she just wants reassurance.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm going to ask again that your friend just come here and register for herself.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I think she's going to now for her future questions but is there any way you can let us know if we are right in assuming that what she had is not a risk? That's what we gathered from that article at least. But now I myself am curious as to if it is a risk or not because I was assuming it wasn't but I'm curious now for my own thoughts.
Heather
Member # 3

No, we need for her to register for herself if she wants to discuss this further like I just asked, please.

We have discussed HIV transmission with you already in great depth, including discussing "potentially dirty" fingers and body orifices. I'm not going to reprise that conversation again. If you remain unclear, I'd suggest reviewing the conversations we have already had about this or discussing this with your healthcare provider. Thanks.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I see. I wouldn't have even bothered to ask for her if I'd realized youd already told me about it because I dont remember that conversation. Sorry. Just trying to help a friend out because I understand being nervous. But again, sorry. I dont think I'm the kind of person who should be asking questions on here and I'll suspend my account ASAP. Sorry again.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm earnestly shocked you don't remember the whole "I maybe got someone else's blood on my finger" conversation.

It went on for quite some time and we invested a lot of time and energy into it for you. Either way, it's here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027484.html

You are welcome to use the boards or not, obviously. I don't know what "kind of person" should or shouldn't be here, but as you know, the conflicts we have had with you have primarily revolved around you not accepting limits we set and having a pattern of arguing with them or pushing them again and again (just like in this thread). For sure, if you can't respect limits when we set them, then yes, we would appreciate it if you stepped away. If you can, then it's all good.

But too, I'd say that if you are finding you aren't retaining anything from long conversations we engage in with you, then perhaps something about the way we work or this media isn't working for you, period, so you may want to consider a way to get the kinds of questions you have answered that better suits your learning style.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Well yes I do remember that conversation of course, but this seemed like a different situation than that one, so i didn't think I could use that info you gave me to give my friend because it may not be correct for her situation.

I've told her she should join the website if she wants answers so she may do so, or she may not. I'm honestly not sure if she really will do it or not.

However, I am personally still curious as to if the situation with the finger would pose a risk. I know you said you wouldn't repeat what you'd already said to me. However, in reference to the blood on my finger, you said it probably was my own so there wasn't a risk. Now, I'm curious still about this situation because after she talked to me about her incidence and after this thread, I'm beginning to realize I've probably done the same thing as her in te past and will probably not be thinking and will do it in the future. I just was curious for my own sake now if it poses a risk simply because if so I need to be more careful in the future. But if you still cannot answer whether that happening poses a risk for HIV or not, please don't take it as me pushing limits, I'm only asking because it seems like a different situation than any other you has given me info on, so I want to be sure I'm covering the correct bases.

Again I am sorry about pushing any limits, I never don't believe you all, I just am better tuned to answers like yes that is a risk or no that is not a risk because I understand easily what I'm asking for. Sorry again and thanks for an answer to this question.

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry to bump, but I kept checking back and didn't hear anything over the past 24 hours.

Again I don't want to push limits or cross boundaries, that is not my intention at all, but, as I said in my precious post, I'd just like to know for myself if that is a risk. Because also like I mentioned above, I've done the same thig before without thinking and would like to know if it poses a risk. If you could tell me yes or no that would be great, and I will drop it after that.

Heather
Member # 3

I really need to try once more to make clear that you ARE continually pushing limits and not accepting limits and boundaries we set, and that really isn't okay with us, and we'd really like you to please make a real effort to stop. I truly don't know how to ask more politely, or ask in a way we haven't already.

As that article -- which will open for any user, I checked -- explains, HIV risks are only present if and when someone is exposed to the blood, vaginal fluids, semen or breast milk of someone who is HIV positive. If someone has not had any direct contact with any of those things, they have not had a risk.

The risks posed by putting fingers in your vagina without washing your hands -- in general, not after having direct contact with those specific fluids from someone HIV+ -- are primarily risks of vaginal bacterial infections.

[ 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay, okay I get it, I understand. This was not a risk because it, if it was anything at all was indirect contact. I just wanted to be sure this kind of thing wasn't considered direct contact if at any point I had had HIV fluids on my fingers. Last thing, but just so I know how to refer to it, what I described to you is indirect contact, not direct, right. The only way it would be a risk is of semen or blood went directly from one persons body to mine. I hope I'm understanding correctly. That's the end of my questions.
Heather
Member # 3

Unless someone is wasted out of their gourd or otherwise out of their mind, they are going to know when they have had their hands, mouth or genitals on someone's lactating breast, penis, vagina or bleeding wound. We can agree on that, right?

If so, then you need to understand that this notion you could have direct contact with those fluids and have them on your hands with no clue simply doesn't make any sense.

I don't see you describing ANY contact with the fluids of someone who is HIV+ in any of these scenarios, be it direct or indirect. I only see a description of contact with one's own hands.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

There has definitely never been a time I've been on my period when I have come into contact with those things that I know of because the only way I could have come into contact with them, as with my friends incident, would have even on environmental surfaces, and even if that did happen in assuming contact with them when they are ALREADY outside someone else's body does not pose a risk because that accounts for indirect contact. Again correct me of I'm wrong but that's what I picked up from our conversation.

I suppose I just needed a clearer understanding of what kind of contact is classified as direct because even with my blood on finger incident, if it had happened to be someone else's blood that was HIV + (I'm not suggesting it was, I'm past that, this is just an example) I would think that kind of contact of it ending up in my mouth was indirect contact, so that wouldn't even be a risk.

These are my thoughts and if I am correct in them, let me know, because that's what my conclusion of all this is.

Heather
Member # 3

I think you may find this answer, and others like it, about exposure from possibly indirect contact at The Body illuminating: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q223928.html?ic=2003

Again, it doesn't make sense, really, to even talk about indirect contact, because that assumes you had any. And generally, people don't just leave breast milk or vaginal fluids lying around on sinks, and puddles of blood aren't usually things we just accidentally rub our hands in without noticing.

Once more -- and really, for the last time -- with feeling: direct contact is when you have an orifice -- the node, eyes, mouth or genitals -- which comes into contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids or breast milk of an infected person. In other words: your mouth is on someone's boob, someone's penis is on your vagina, someone ejaculates into your eye, etc.

I also think that in the mix here is an assumption that people with HIV will leave their fluids all willy-nilly all over the place, when, in fact, I think it's safe to say that most HIV-positive people are exceptionally mindful about that. Sure, some people don't know they are positive, but again, you're asking about infection scenarios that are about as likely as having a plane fall out of the sky and unto your head here.

Moving forward, I need to ask that if you have more questions about transmission when you are NOT actually engaging in the kinds of activities that put us at real risk -- sex, IV needle use or a kind of work in which you are exposed to other people's blood -- that you bring them to your healthcare providers from now on. I feel that we have more than exhausted the issue here, and you do have that access (not everyone does).

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.