Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late pill?
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer06         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,

I am in the middle of the second week in my (combined) pill pack. Yesterday night I spaced out and took my pill this morning at 7 AM instead of last night at 10PM...this is my first time taking one late, so i'm not sure what that means.

Does this make the pill less effective? When is the combined pill considered late?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking pills late can impact their effectiveness.

But, like I think we have talked about before, I think it's most sound with a method like the pill for everyone to figure they probably will only have typical use effectiveness anyway, especially since not missing or taking any pills late in one whole year would be pretty miraculous.

So, at most, that'd dip you to typical use effectiveness -- 92% in one year -- but that's probably about what you have from your pill anyway.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

I'm confused as to when my pill is late. I keep hearing 3 and 12 hours...i'm not sure which is which...if it was 12 for the COP, it wouldn't be considered late?
Posts: 140 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

And as for my second question, why is the pill only at a typical effectiveness if taken everyday on time?

I've also heard the COP is late after 12 hours? (not that you definitely want to get in the habit of taking them then, but it's not going to change the effectiveness).

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is best to take the pill within a three hour window, in terms of keeping the hormone level constant. However, you do not need to consider a pill late until it has been more than 12 hours since your pill time.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

Okay, so I should just make sure to keep taking it around 10 and this one time shouldn't take away the effectiveness much if at all?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you backing up your pill with condoms, soccer? If so, you really don't need to sweat something like this. That's one of the bonuses of using more than one method.

Otherwise, you want to try and stick to that three-hour-window. If you don't, then again, just figure you will probably have something closer to typical use effectiveness than to perfect use effectiveness.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.