Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » No withdrawal bleed after the Plan B pill?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No withdrawal bleed after the Plan B pill?!
glamxoxo
Neophyte
Member # 96467

Icon 4 posted      Profile for glamxoxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm freaking out because I'm not having the usual withdrawal bleed 7 days after taking ECP. I've taken ECP twice in the past and I always get spotting exactly on day 7. Today I'm on day 9 and still no sign of it! I think I may have been ovulating the day I took ECP in the morning does it mean it didn't work?! Is this normal not to have withdrawal bleed??????
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EC works in more than one way, so even if you were ovulating when you took it, that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work. Too, the way our bodies respond to medication can vary over time, so although you've had spotting after taking EC previously, that's no guarantee that you will this time.

That said, it's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test after taking EC, so if it's been long enough since your risk (14 days at least) you can test now and get an accurate result.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting or bleeding after Plan B is just a side effect some people get, or some get sometimes. It's not an indication of the medication working (it also isn't a withdrawal bleed when it happens: that's something about use of ongoing birth control pills, not emergency contraceptives), and a lack of bleeding isn't an indication it isn't.

So, twice you had that, now you aren't: none of that has bearing on if the Plan B worked for you.

That said, sounds like you've been using it pretty frequently: do you want help finding a more effective (and certainly cheaper) method of contraception? Or help with condoms or insisting on partners using them?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glamxoxo
Neophyte
Member # 96467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glamxoxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since i took it on the possible day of ovulation do you think my body is just trying to get itself to ovulate again and that's why I didn't have the spotting or would that be totally impossible?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ovulation is something that our bodies have to work up to, as it were, over weeks: not something a body can do or try and do instantly.

Again, the bleeding, when it happens, is a side effect. Not proof of anything, nor is a lack of bleeding.

By all means, Plan B is less effective when used during ovulation than when used after, but once more, whether it worked this time for you or not is something you'll just have to wait out, and not spotting isn't cause for concern.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.