Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Menstrual....chunks? (slightly graphic)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual....chunks? (slightly graphic)
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Icon 9 posted      Profile for OliveKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,

I was recently on another online forum, and the topic of menstrual "chunks" came up, described as such:

"When a woman menstruates, it's not just blood that comes out, it's literally the lining of the uterus, the things that come out aren't always smooth, but may infact contain chunks of uterus and flesh."

I've been menstruating for about 8 years and I've never encountered this. Is this a real, normal thing?

PS, thank you guys for this site. I'm constantly referring it to my friends and people in other forums online. It's great [Smile]

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, sometimes periods look very fluid per flow (but are still not all blood, btw: that's only one part of flow). Other times, they can be more chunky, whether that's about flow mixing with thicker vaginal/cervical discharges, or some endometrium (not "flesh," I mean, to me, "flesh" is our epidermis, so I'd not use that word) coming out as more solid, rather than more fluid.

Also, it might help to bear in mind that 8 years is really just a fraction of the time you'll probably menstruate for, so you may have a world of various variations ahead of you yet! [Smile]

And you're so welcome!

[ 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "chunky" stuff but just thought it was thicker blood. Is that sort of how the endometrium looks?

The same guy also said "My gf will describe to me in detail the exact sensation of those passing out of her vagina."

I understand the whole endometrium thing, but actually feeling stuff come out? Is that a common thing?

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blood doesn't really get "thick." Blood is thin and fluid unless it's clotting, which it doesn't with menses, because there's no wound happening to cause clots.

But again, thicker or chunkier looking flow can be because of thicker discharge mixed in, endometrium, or a combo of both.

The vaginal canal, especially the back 2/3rds of it, actually has very few sensory nerve endings for fine sensations, versus those which respond to pressure. So, someone feeling the consistency of the vaginal fluids or menses as they pass through the vaginal canal would be unlikely, I'd say, just because that'd require nerve endings we don't really have there.

I think maybe we have some non-menstruating second-party reporting here at play. [Razz] Or, who knows, someone with a partner where they share a turn-on about menses, so she is prone to purpler prose about it. Who knows.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok- that all makes a lot more sense.

Thank you for answering all my silly questions (silly, as in they're not really about my own health concerns, and I've been spending too much time online talking to strangers!)

Heather
Member # 3

Not silly! In my book, intellectual curiosity about our bodies is always a good thing. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.