Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HIV risk from unprotected oral (exclusive oral)? Please help!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV risk from unprotected oral (exclusive oral)? Please help!!
Boston_EGL07
Neophyte
Member # 93091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boston_EGL07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had unprotected oral sex with a guy I was dating back in April/May. He's been with 10 girls before me, but he'd use condoms for sex unless he knew for sure the girls were on some form of birth control. I gave him oral maybe 10 times in total (and that's probably overestimating it), but I never let him come in my mouth. I know I posted that I did not have cuts or sores in my mouth at the time, but a few weeks after the latest oral sex incident (May 23), I had what I thought was a canker sore appear on my gum. I just found out today that I actually have a tooth abscess, but I'm not having much pain because a fistula has formed that is allowing this abscess to drain periodically. I'll be getting a root canal next week. The abscess isn't open, it's sort of just like a pimple on my gum.

A couple weeks after I gave oral, I also started to get a sore throat. It was never severe, but I was diagnosed with strep on June 22 because the back of my throat had white patches and my lymph nodes were enlarged. I was treated with penicillin for 7 days, but my symptoms began to come back, so I was put on for another seven days. I have since had a sore throat almost every day (never severe, but sometimes just a tiny bit red). I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that it could be due to environmental factors or a virus. I also had emergency ankle surgery last Friday, 7/27, so I'm sure that's contributing to my current sore throat due to the intubation tube from the anesthesia. My doctor suggested I take zinc tablets, and my dad has been checking my throat and said that it is no longer red, though it does hurt a little bit.

I also believe I'm getting a yeast infection, due to some vaginal itching and frequent urination. I've had the itching for a few weeks now, but I haven't had a chance to ask my doctor about it because I've been in Ireland; I'll call him tomorrow and discuss my symptoms. I started having these symptoms a few days after I finished my antibiotics (or maybe even during the antibiotics treatment), so I'm wondering if that could be the cause. I was treated with Diflucan last Tuesday I believe, and I'm feeling much better; I did have to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate last night (unusual for me) and I urinated frequently this morning, but I'm back to normal tonight.

I do not recall having a fever when I had strep; I believe I was only tired. I'm just incredibly nervous because I don't see how I could have all of these infections in one summer without there being some kind of underlying factor. Maybe I'm just being super paranoid, because this guy I was dating came down with what I believe was mono about halfway through our relationship (he never got tested, but there was a week or so where he was extremely exhausted). I do not recall if he had a fever or rash or anything like that.

Should I worry about this, as far as oral sex being a risk for HIV transmission? I'm sure I'm probably blowing this whole HIV thing out of proportion anyway; I just saw some stats from the CDC stating that the number of people with HIV in the US is approximately 1.2 million. Since I'm a college student (as is the guy that I'm dating), the likelihood of him having HIV anyway is probably pretty slim, right? I'm sure my anxiety is doing me no favors as far as my other symptoms are concerned, either, and I know I do have very logical medical reasons for my other symptoms in the first place. I've also read that saliva is hostile to HIV, and it is much more difficult for HIV to be transferred from a woman to a man instead of vice versa.

I guess what I'm looking for is just a little reassurance. Obviously I'm not educated enough about HIV and it's transmission, and there's plenty of confusing and misleading information on the internet about HIV. I've read that HIV can absolutely be transmitted via oral sex and that there are several documented cases from oral sex alone. I'm just really nervous because, like I said, I think it's incredibly strange that I've had all of these symptoms all summer, right after I had a potential exposure to HIV. I can't get to the doctor right now due to my ankle surgery, but I will be seeing my OB/GYN in mid-to-late August for my annual checkup, so I'm sure she'll be able to allay some of my fears then, right? I just don't want to worry any more, so reassurance would be great.

Posts: 13 | From: Boston | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral sex does present a risk of HIV, but without knowing your partner's status, there's no way of telling what the risk to you personally is. The only thing you can do is get tested, and your gyn can do that when you see her next (getting tested regularly for all STIs, not just HIV, is an important part of safer sex).

It wouldn't hurt either to talk to a healthcare provider about how often you've been getting sick this summer. Sometimes that just happens for no obvious reason, but it's worth asking about just to be sure. There are lots of things other than HIV that can affect how often you get sick, so I'd recommend you get checked out.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5730 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.