Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control help
Annie J
Neophyte
Member # 96440

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Annie J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused and worried about my Birth Control. Please someone help.
I take Birth Control and been taking it for over 7 months without any fail or forgetting.
Except for yesterday when I was outside and I lost the pill I was suppose to take that day.
I did what everyone told me to do and took the next day pill for that day.
My packs start on a Friday and End on Thursday and everyone says I will have an extra day for my 7 day placebo pills. How does that work? When I only have 7 pills? and Everyone says I will have to skip the first day of my new pack cause that way I can get back at my normal routine but does that mean when I get my new pack, instead of taking my pill Thursday I don't take one at all and Wait till the next day on Friday? I really don't think that's safe but is that what everyone means by "Extend placebo pills" and I know already the pill is not 100% protection. I just need someone to explain to me in beter detail what everyone means so can someone please help me. Please. [Confused]

Posts: 2 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ideal case with something like this is that you have a spare pill pack at home, so when you lose a pill, you can make it up from the spare pack and don't have to mess with your current pack. So, for the future, that's a good thing to have.

For right now, you'll wind up with a cycle that's one day shorter. That means that, when you are done taking all of the active pills, you have a regular, 7 day break. Do NOT extend the break by a day, as that will mess with effectiveness further. What you'll want to do instead is basically move up your starter day by one day. That means that, if until now you always started a new pack on a Friday, you'll start it on Thursday instead this time.

Since you made up the pill right away, you don't have to worry too much about lowered effectiveness. You're still in the typical use range, which is 92% or higher. But if you are worried, you can back up with condoms until you start the new pack.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie J
Neophyte
Member # 96440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what you are say is, just keep taking my pills as I have but just start from Thursday from now on?
Posts: 2 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you'll now start your new pack on a Thursday.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.