Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How long is sperm viable in an ejaculation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long is sperm viable in an ejaculation?
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know sperm dies if it is on the hands, once the semen starts to dry, but if she gave me a handjob and got a decent amount of semen on her hands, how long would it still be alive if there was a lot and still feels pretty wet?... I've read the articles and some say I would have to ejaculate directly on the vulva, and others say it's possible if there is a large blob on the fingers or hand to cause pregnancy...I'm just confused. I always wash my hands before touching her, but am afraid that she may have indirectly touched herself after giving me a handjob where I had a full ejaculation. I wish this didn't cause me so much stress:(
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi amg2012,

Do you know for certain that she touched her vulva right after she got ejaculate on her hands?

Basically, that's what would have had to happen in order for there to be a risk. IN other words, it would have had to be very intentional. You've read in the articles about all the different things that are required for sperm to survive and do their job (being fresh, being deposited directly onto the vulva, having the fluidity and other characteristics of the semen and vagina, etc).

If you're concerned about this in future, you can just give your girlfriend a tissue to wipe her hands off. Hand-washing is ideal for killing germs and bacteria, but a simple wipe with a tissue will clean off semen.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I am not sure she touched it right after...I guess I was more worried about it being on her hand for like a minute before she got something to wipe it off with...and that she accidentally touched herself down there...maybe I'm thinking about this too much because she accidentally took her nuvaring out one day early:(
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand you being concerned. *gentle smile* I really think that you, and she, would know if she had touched her vulva. Plus, that kind of transfer is really not likely to cause a pregnancy just because it is such an interruption to all the things that need to be present in order for sperm to do their job.

Do you often find that you worry about this, or is it just because her nuva ring came out too soon this time?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

I guess it was because she took out her nuvaring a day early, my mind started to wander...she had a regular period, but the part that worries me is that we had these sexual activities the first night she got her period...and I guess I'm afraid she could've ovulated because of the early removal of the ring... [Frown] maybe I'm just over thinking this
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

How is your girlfriend feeling about this? Is she concerned?

Nothing you've described here sets off alarm bells for risks, but if you are concerned you can talk to her and see how she feels about taking a pregnancy test.

--------------------
Robin

amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

I haven't told her because the more I think about it, the more I realize I am probably over reacting, and am a bit embarrassed...she had underwear on so I guess indirect transfer would probably be unlikely ....I don't know why my mind wanders so much
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's all the info you need to find the answer to this for yourself: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007116.html

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

thanks Rei, I've been reading up on all of those articles:) I was just wondering about a post Heather mentioned that sperm can live up to 20 minutes outside the testes? Why is this so? Does that mean it would have to be ejaculated and untouched?..because wouldn't that mean indirect transfer could cause pregnancy up to 20 minutes?..thanks for all the info...I'm just trying to understand all of this:)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.