Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Abnormal STI Risks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abnormal STI Risks
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been monogamous with my boyfriend for over a year now. We are each other's first sexual partners of any sort. A short while ago, I found out some information that leads me to ask about the risk of contracting STIs from animals. I'm wondering if it's possible for a person who has had intercourse with an animal to contract an STI from the animal and pass it on to a human partner if condoms haven't been used. I'm particularly concerned about HIV in this instance, though I am aware that it is human immunodeficency virus. I'm just curious as to the possibility, taking into account the origin of AIDS and SIV. I understand the implications of this post, and the other questions that will arise, but I'd prefer to stick to the topic of disease transmission rather than discuss my partner's past sexual decisions, if at all possible. Thank you so much for your attention!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, the STIs we talk about are those transmitted person-to-person. However, a range of different infections and diseases can be transmitted from animal to person.

So, setting going into detail aside -- I see no need to have to -- someone who has had sexual contact with animals should consider they (or the animal) may have been at risk of infections, and should be evaluated by a healthcare provider before they figure they don't have any infections they might transmit to someone else.

Mind, animals or no animals, the only way to know we have no transmissible infections is to have that evaluated by a healthcare provider, so we'd always advise people get sexual health screenings, including tests for infections, before having sex without safer sex, regardless.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, that's what I figured. However, is it possible for HIV to transfer from animal to person? Or is it a strictly humanly transmissible disease?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Also, would normal STI tests, say at a Planned Parenthood, cover other infections that could have been transferred? Or would special accommodations have to be made, including mention of the animals? Again, though, I'm more curious about the transmissibility of HIV from animal to human, as I won't be able to have the tests done for a month or so. Thank you again.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one I don't have the answer to.

However, we're not going to be tested for things we don't ask to be tested for, generally, so PP wouldn't be testing (and probably doesn't have the capacity) to test for the wide range of human/animal infections and diseases possible. Rather, I'd suspect the person who had the actual animal exposure would need to ask for a more general blood panel to test for animal diseases.

With HIV, as I understand it that is possible (though it also stands to mention that a domestic animal wouldn't likely have HIV or their version of it without notice unless they didn't get regular veterinary care).

But ultimately, I'm afraid these are questions rather outside my ken, since what I work with and know about are humans and sexual health issues between them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.