Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B?
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question—

If I consider myself a perfect pill user, is there ever a real reason for me to take plan B?

Because if I am a perfect pill user, I have like a 97-99% chance that I won't get pregnant and those are good odds, right?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because taking Plan B is just indicating that I don't trust the pill to do its job, especially in a low risk situation.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take your pill every day at the same time of day, then yes, you can expect that the pill is doing it's job. As you have said, this isn't 100% protection, but it's pretty close. Plus, Plan B does the same things as the daily birth control pill does (only in a different time frame) so it's likely that taking Plan B wouldn't offer any more protection.

If you did want to increase your birth control coverage, you could add another birth control method, such as condoms.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not comfortable with the risk that is presented by using the pill alone, you can always use a secondary method of contraception to make you extra-safe [Smile]

Here's more on that:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

[ 07-30-2012, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Right—well I'm a perfect user in an STI free relationship and we had anal sex yesterday. He did not ejaculate inside of me, but I believe there was some ejaculate on the area—not directly on the vulva. I went to the bathroom after we finished and cleaned myself off so that nothing was moving between the anus and the vulva. I know this genital to genital activity presents a low risk but I also know in my head that I am covered by my pill so I shouldn't be worried and shouldn't take Plan B.

I am just kind of talking out my paranoia I guess.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to check in with you about whether this kind of sex was something you were 100% comfortable with the risks involved/felt ready for doing? Often we find when users have such anxiety around sex, they're doing things that they aren't comfortable with. So if sex is causing you a lot of anxiety, it would probably be best to take all sexual activity off the table until you feel 100% comfortable with any of the risks involved.

May I ask if you're getting any sort of counselling or therapy? If you're finding you have a lot of anxiety, in general or just around sex, then therapy/counselling could be really helpful for you.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

I was totally fine with it and I trust him a lot. I was ready to do it. I wouldn't call it a lot of anxiety—just a little bit. I just need a confirmation of what I'm thinking—I can't really talk to anyone about it, so I just came here because I know you all know what you're talking about and would let me know the real facts of the situation.

I have had counseling before but I'm not in any sort of counseling right now. I will probably start up once I get back to college, with a counselor I have there, but as of right now I am not. I actually have an anxiety disorder, so this anxiety isn't really reserved to just sex.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.