Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » I'm late on my pills by 6 hours and had sex the next day. Help me please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm late on my pills by 6 hours and had sex the next day. Help me please?
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ransu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happened on a Friday, I was so busy I took my pills 6 hours late. On Saturday, I took my pill as usual and had sex. He did not came in me nor masturbated in the morning before. I've been very upset about certain things for the past few days and I'm on the 4th day of my pill-free week. Please help me I'm freaking out! Can I be pregnant by just having my pills late for 6 hours?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ransu. Are you on Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill) or the Progesterone-Only Oral Contraceptives (Minipills)? If you're on the first one, then taking your pill 6 hours late doesn't compromise effectiveness -- it's after 12 hours that a pill is considered late.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ransu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why is my period coming so late? Will my depression the past few day caused it?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, stress can be a big factor in making your period late. There are also a lot of other things other than pregnancy that can cause this.
Here's more on that:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

What can I do to have my period?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

There's nothing you can do to force your period to start, I'm afraid. If you are really stressed, do try to relax and don't worry about pregnancy since that isn't at all likely to be what's going on here. But sometimes periods just don't show up and there's nothing you can do about it, I'm sorry to say.

If you are having such severe anxiety around this even though you know that you hadn't compromised your pill's effectiveness, I think it might be a good idea to take sexual activity off the table for now. With any sex involving a penis and a vulva, there is going to be at least a tiny level of risk involved, and we need to be comfortable with that to be able to have sex. So if you're not comfortable with that risk, it's totally fine, but I do think that it'd best for your mental health to stop having any kind of sex because it's just stressing you out so much.

Are you having any kind of counselling or therapy at all? If you're not but that is an available option for you, it would be a good idea to try it out because that could really help you out in becoming more comfortable with the risks involved with sex.

[ 07-30-2012, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.