Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Clitoral hood hair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clitoral hood hair?
Female Person
Neophyte
Member # 46961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Female Person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I was examining my vaginal area and I saw three hairs sticking out of my clitoral hood! I currently have some sort of stubborn infection (gyno says it's yeast AND vaginosis), so I was really worried that something really gross had gotten stuck up in there and was causing all my pain.

I was afraid to pull it out if I didn't know what it was, so I googled around to make sure it was safe. I saw a few posts on random forums about girls with the same problems as me: random pain that feels like splinters, a clitoris so sensitive it's hard to let anyone touch it. They all said they had hair growing in the clitoral hood, and as soon as they plucked it out (it doesn't hurt), the pain went away!

So, I went to pluck them and found a clump of probably 10 of them. They look like very long, blonde eyelashes, much lighter and thinner than pubic hair. It didn't hurt to pluck them out, and my pain seems to have gotten better. (Although I almost threw up because the idea of plucking hair from my clitoral area sounded so so painful.)

The reason I'm posting here is because, although I found all those forums, I never actually saw a doctor (or other expert) writing about it at all. There were a few doctors replying to the forums, saying that it has to just be pubic hair that got stuck. I don't think this is true because it looks nothing like any pubic hair I know about, and there were at least 10 that looked the same and had roots. Is there any proof that clitoral hood hair exists and/or that it causes pain? If so, is it safe to be plucking them out all the time? Is there a way to make it go away permanently? What if one becomes ingrown? That seems like an even more painful situation.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 17 | From: Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no doctor either... but the fact that you had them sounds proof enough to me! Maybe when they say "pubic" they mean the general area the hair is in, rather than specifically the type of hair... it might grow very differently in the different type of skin which is the clit... I imagine they might just be normal hairs which can grow in odd places (I literally found a long blonde hair which came from nowhere growing on my forehead once!) But on the clitoral hood and near the clit where there are zillions of nerve endings it could create pain and sensitivity.

Plucking hair doesn't sound too dangerous... but maybe it might be a good idea to ask a doctor if you can?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Female Person
Neophyte
Member # 46961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Female Person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answer! I'm guessing the hair is pretty normal, and probably okay to pluck if it causes pain. However, I'm worried that I already have an ingrown hair. This morning I woke up and had some pain kind of to the left of my clitoris, and when I examined myself in the late afternoon, I found a small, painful lump around the area I'd been feeling pain in. I've been holding warm washcloths up to it, and that seems to help, but I'm not sure when/if I should see my gyno. I just saw her a couple of days ago, so I'd rather not go rushing in to see her again, but if I need to I will. The general consensus seems to be that I should make an appointment if it doesn't go away after about a week. But it's so painful now! I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to ease the pain, or if anyone has had an ingrown hair in such a strange area before. =/

Thanks,
Mikky

Posts: 17 | From: Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'd book in for an appointment, if you haven't already, especially if you're in pain. I'd rather do something to stop the pain than wait the 'proper' amount of time whatever that may be. There's no real need to under-goe any more physical pain if you can avoid it, is there? And there is no law against having 2 appointments too close together!

What did the gynaecologist say about what you posted her originally?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.