Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » When a pregnancy test is reliable/talking to the nurses..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When a pregnancy test is reliable/talking to the nurses..
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again!

I'm just going to skip the story, and say I definitely had a pregnancy risk, as I had sex, without a condom, but I've been on birth control for almost 7 months now. So, not technically unprotected.

Well, me being uncomfortable with the whole come inside (which I FINALLY had a sit down discussion with my boyfriend with, and discussed the awful possibility of babies for the first time, and that was a wake up call for both of us, so we've decided to be as safe as possible from now on.) I take pregnancy tests here and then.

The last time I had "unprotected" sex (without condoms) was July 1st. Now, with varying internet sources (reliable ones, like planned parenthood, ask alice, clear blue's product website, and this one) I am not sure if the test I took today (18 days after the fact) is actually reliable. From these four sites, I'm getting a mix of "It's not reliable until after a missed period, to 7-10 days (I'm assuming that's for blood tests?), to 14 days, to 19 days."

Well, my test came out negative on the 18th day after sex. But, stupid me, my breasts have been sore for two weeks now and haven't relented, and surely this must not be normal. I've never experienced such boob soreness for this long. And it's not even close to my period. My period is about a week 1/2 away, and this has persisted for a little bit this month.

So, to sum up my not-story-story, when is a home pregnancy test reliable? I would imagine it takes like a week for conception.. then a week for fertilization, or so, and then when do those pregnancy hormones start getting pumped out? So was I testing too early?

Also, I sort of really always want to call my OBGYN nurse, but I am too afraid/ashamed to call. Like "Hey! I'm getting these symptoms, and I'm religious with my BCP, but I am paranoid that I'm pregnant. Can you talk through this with me?" Or "WHY THE HECK ARE MY BOOBS SO SORE 7 MONTHS IN? Am I pregnant?" But part of me knows that those women are a little older, and I fear that they'll judge me for being sexually active at 20, and not married, or WORSE, they'll tell my mother that I'm sexually active. In my family, that is a no-go. That is why I turn to y'all so often, and I really appreciate all the information you give.

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any nurse or doctor told your parent about your sexual health without your permission, they would be breaking very serious HIPAA (privacy) policies. And in most states, could lose their license. Not only will most practices obviously not want to risk that, most healthcare providers take medical ethics seriously, and wouldn't do that even without those laws.

So, you can certainly call. Really. And know you do not have to worry about privacy. And even if a provider had their own judgments, as a professional, it is something most will keep to themselves. Again, most people take their jobs seriously.

That all said, an HPT is reliable when the instructions say it is, and that's usually either after a period is late or missed OR around two weeks after a risk, whichever comes first. On top of that, breast soreness can happen for a host of reasons, and hardcore breast soreness for weeks very early in a pregnancy would be pretty unusual as something because of a very early pregnancy.

It takes around a week or a little less, for the record, to get to implantation, and about ten days from a risk, when a pregnancy does happen, for the body to *start* producing hcg, the pregnancy hormone tests detect.

Breast tissue can be very sensitive stuff and responsive/reactive to change, even minor change, sometimes. So, even something like the heat wave so much of the US has been having could be the issue here, really.

My suggestion is you call your healthcare provider to ask about the soreness. If they want you to come in, you can also ask for another pregnancy test if you like. But if you take your pill like clockwork, pregnancy is very, very unlikely to be what's afoot here.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Also, if it helps? On average, most people - the vast majority of people, as documented by census data -- will have been sexually active by 20, and outside of marriage, in the United States. And that's been the case for around 100 years.

So, if you have this idea that older women will be judgy because you're doing things they were not? Know that most of them were. In fact, we're skewing to a little later historically with sexual debut than we were between the 70s and the 90s, so plenty will have been doing the same things, in the same social contexts, even earlier than you.)

[ 07-19-2012, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply.

See, I am aware of the HIPAA, and that I have full confidentiality, except, I sort of don't. No one but my sister and boyfriend know that I'm sexually active, and in order to get the birth control pill (we don't have Planned Parenthood anywhere near me), I had to go under my parent's insurance under the guise of acne. Which I did have pretty bad, and its helped a lot.
My OBGYN doesn't even know I'm sexually active. I wondered if this would be a major problem, but since I've already been tested, and he said I'd have to get a pap anyways when I'm 21, I figured I'd just wait until then.

When my mother took me to the OBGYN, she made sure I signed the part that said she would be able to see my records/let the doctor tell her if there was something wrong/etc. Of course, she lets me see the doctor by myself, but for my safety, she wants to know when something's wrong, as she's a normal mom and worry wort. (And I'm still under her insurance sooo, I think it's fair.)

SO, I don't know if this means the nurse will blab to my mother that I'm sexually active before I myself would be able to tell her. That's why I'm afraid of calling. I call when it's related to irregular bleeding, since that's normal. But anything pregnancy related?? NO SIR. That'd be too suspicious.

So, you think I'm in the clear for that test being somewhat reliable? I'll still have to wait about a week and 1/2 for my actual period, but having some kind of peace of mind until then would be awesome.

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Using their insurance doesn't change privacy policies. Unless you're in Massachusetts -- where providers CAN notify parents without breaking policies -- you still have the right to privacy.

I don't know what paperwork you signed, but chances are when it comes to sexual health -- this is pretty specific in most states per minors -- what you signed isn't applicable. However, you could always call the practice -- you wouldn't even have to identify yourself, just say you're a patient -- and ask about their privacy policies per minors, parents and sexual health.

With the test, if you followed the instructions, including with when you took it timing-wise, then you can feel certain it's accurate.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.