Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy scare/plan b

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy scare/plan b
confusedandworried23
Neophyte
Member # 96185

Icon 9 posted      Profile for confusedandworried23         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably one of the most paranoid people, especially since I recently lost my virginity and am not on birth control. (I hope I'm also not being judged on this because both times I didn't think it would happen).

Two weeks ago I had sex with my boyfriend and re condom broke, he never finished but I went and got plan b and took it about an hour or two after sex. I had bleeding a week after(which was also when my period was due) but it was lighter than normal, although I did lose a good amount of blood with clotting the second day, and it lasted 5 days like my normal periods do.

Last night, the condom broke once again (just my luck, right?) and I took a plan b 45 minutes after it happened. I know plan b should not be used like birth control and I'm not doing so. my concerns are that I may be pregnant due to the fact that my last bleeding was lighter and that this time he finished, and it's around my "peak ovulation" time. Should I get my period when it's due, which should be around the last week in July? or will it arrive sooner?

Were definitely holding off on sex for a while now. because my hopes are that I'm not pregnant, and I will be able to get birth control. which means at the least like 3 or 4 months. I'm not ready for a baby at all, not yet.

please give me some insight :/ (I also need to STOP looking online and trying to self diagnose regarding other people, unless it's on here. because thats what made me worry about implantation bleeding or having bleeding during pregnancy. or if my period was spotting instead and I never got my actual period). :/

Posts: 9 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't be judged here - this is a safe space and we work hard to make sure it stays that way for everyone. [Smile]

Emergency contraception (Plan B) greatly reduces the chance of pregnancy, especially when it's taken so soon after a risk, so it's very unlikely that you're pregnant. The lighter period is probably due to the EC, which often has the side effect of throwing cycles out of whack, making bleeding heavier or lighter, etc. However, it's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test after using it, just to make sure. It's too soon to do that now, but you can test two weeks from now at the soonest or when your period is due. (Whether or not you'll get your next period when it's expected is tough to predict because emergency contraception can affect your cycle for a couple of months.)

Broken condoms also present an STI risk, so it would be a good idea to schedule a full screening in a month or so.

Did you want to talk about ways to keep condoms from breaking in the future? When they're used properly, condoms very rarely break, and there are a few tricks that really help.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandworried23
Neophyte
Member # 96185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedandworried23         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. It means a lot. I didn't think I was the first time, I'm just worried again this time, but I will definitely look in to getting a test in a couple weeks.

And I would like to talk about ways to prevent condoms from breaking. I've heard about using lubricant but that's about it. Normally they haven't been an issue, but of course my luck it would happen to us. Thank you for all of the help, I appreciate it so much [Smile]

Posts: 9 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI confusedandworried23,

Using plenty of water-based lubricant is a big help in reducing the likelihood that a condom will break. It reduces friction, which is a big culprit in why condoms break in the first place. You can get lubricant any place that condoms are sold.

Knowing the best way to put condoms on can also help.

This article has lots of good information about condoms, plus it walks you through how to put one on.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

As Karybu mentioned, a broken condom also means increased STI transmission risks. Have you and your partner been tested recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandworried23
Neophyte
Member # 96185

Hey guys, I have an update/more questions for you guys and I hope you can help :/

Okay so, as I stated above, I took plan b last saturday. Last night I noticed some spotting that was a dark brown color and today I had a light flow (with some of the clumpy discharge that usually happens on a period--the "clotting"). What is worrying me is that my period isn't due until two or so weeks.
and three weeks ago when I had taken plan b as well, I got my period that next week (when it was due) but it was lighter, except for the second day when the flow was how it should have been.

Is this normal or should I be worried that I'm having bleeding before my period is due? (implantation bleeding or something like that) :/

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B can mess with the menstrual cycle and cause irregular bleeding. So, this doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Since you've taken Plan B twice within a few weeks, you'll want to prepare yourself for your cycle to be a bit out of whack for a little while.

If you are worried about relying on your period to tell you that you are not pregnant, you can take a test to be extra sure. You will get an accurate result at 14 days after the last risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandworried23
Neophyte
Member # 96185

Also, since I took the first plan b late in my cycle and my period was due that next week anyways. Since I did have a lighter period than usual, is it possible that it could've been withdrawal bleeding and not my period? I read about that a little while ago and now it's got me freaking out.

But since this time I took it the week after I had gotten that "period" is it withdrawal bleeding since my period isn't really due for about another week or two? (then again I'm not totally sure since the plan b messes up your cycle). I'm also experiencing lower back pain and cramps, which I'm assuming is normal with the mass amount of hormone in that pill.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as you know, Plan B can alter the cycle. As Joey said, if you're not feeling as if you can rely on your period to give you the assurance you need that you're not pregnant, a pregnancy test will definitively give you that information.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandworried23
Neophyte
Member # 96185

and I'd have to wait two weeks from the date the pregnancy risk occurred, correct?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.