Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions
Ebaron1819
Neophyte
Member # 93015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebaron1819         Edit/Delete Post 
I went camping from last Saturday to Monday. My withdrawal bleed came on Saturday night (was prepared for this). I was using the campground bathroom on Sunday afternoon to change my tampon. I unwrapped the tampon and the applicator fell on the bathroom stall floor and I quickly picked it up (wasn't on the ground for even two seconds). I had no other supplies with me at that moment and I was by myself in the bathroom. I decided to put in the tampon using the applicator that had fallen. My period flow was heavy and I had to walk 5-10 minutes away to get back to my campsite, and that is why I decided to use the tampon. As soon as I got back, I took the tampon out (I felt weird about the situatuon after the fact) and decided to just use a pad.
My question is, am I in danger of getting an infection or disease since the tampon applicator (plastic applicator) fell on the bathroom floor? It sounds stupid, but just wondering about the possibility? Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Ebaron1819,

It certainly is possible that the applicator picked up some dirt or bacteria which was then transferred to your vagina. The vagina is a pretty smart thing though, and has a pretty sophisticated self-cleansing system.

I would suggest that you observe yourself and that if you have any pain, irritation, or unusual discharge that lasts more than a day or two, that you get a health care professional to check things out.

If you don't experience anything unusual or uncomfortable, then you're more than likely fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebaron1819
Neophyte
Member # 93015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebaron1819         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Robin. I haven't felt anything...just had my regular period from Sunday to Tuesday. Then it seemed like no period on Wednesday, but today, it seemed like I had the tail end of my period today with some brief cramping (brown blood that usually signifies the end of my period).
You don't think I could pick up anything like an STD or any serious virus, do you?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ebaron, it'd be really, incredibly, HIGHLY unlikely for you get an STI from a bathroom floor -- they are, after all, sexually transmitted infections, so I'd say that probably isn't something you should worry about with this [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.