Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » bleeding statistics question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bleeding statistics question
Activist
Member # 95903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98217509812347         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a question about the statistics about bleeding during pregnancy. When looking online it shows everywhere from it's common for women to experience bleeding during pregnancy to it's very rare. The percentage numbers I see most are 20-30%. Does this mean that 20-30% of pregnant women experience implantation bleeding? Or does it mean that 20-30% of women experience decidual bleeding? Or does it mean that 20-30% experience one of the two? If it means the last one, then what's the percentage approximately of women who experience fairly normal period-like bleeding during their expected times early in pregnancy?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Iced Tea,

It means that 20% to 30% of women who become pregnant experience some type of bleeding or spotting during pregnancy. We really don't have a more specific breakdown on the types of bleeding or when in the pregnancy the bleeding occurs.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ok thanks robin, and another question about something that I saw that I was wondering of you could verify. Ive seen that if someone bleeds as much as a regular period (or sheds as much of the uterine lining) then that also proves they're not pregnant because of they shed that much of the lining, then there's nowhere for the fetus to grow and develop. It seems like that makes sense, do you know if that's true?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's correct; the egg imaplnts into the lining of the uterus, and if that isn't there, that can't happen. It's not possible to have a period an be pregnant.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Thats what I thought, but isn't decidual bleeding shedding of the uterine lining? If so, how would decidual lining be possible?
Activist
Member # 95903

Decidual bleeding*
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is shedding, or partial shedding, of the uterine lining, but the cause is different. So, where someone's menstrual cycle means that they have a pattern of ovulation, then menstruation if there is no pregnancy, Decidual bleeding doesn't run on a predictable schedule like that.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ohh so decidual bleeding doesn't always happen when a normal period would? And when it does it's just by chance that it happened at the same time? Is that correct?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Decidual bleeding does not follow a schedule, it is irregular bleeding. It also does not generally look like a period.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Alright thanks. So the chances of someone being pregnant and having period like bleeding during their regular menstration time is extremely small, even I it's decidual bleeding?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. When women do experience decidual bleeding during a pregnancy, the chances that it resembles their period are pretty small.

So, when you have bleeding that happens when your period is due, and that looks like your period (flow, length of time, etc) you can be pretty sure that it is, indeed, your period. Anything else would be a huge concidence.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

So much information on the Internet I'm glad you guys can clarify for me! I didn't know that decidual bleeding was random or irregular, so that if it did happen when a period is normally due, it's a total coincidence.... Thanks for clarifying
Activist
Member # 95903

Sorry, but i'm still a tad bit confused and i just would like to clarify. So decidual bleeding is period like bleeding, and that's why it's sometimes confused as a period. However, it doesn't always happen around the normal period time, it happens at random times. So, when it does happen at a normal period time that is a total coincidence, because it follows no schedule or anything like that?
Is that correct?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's right. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does decidual bleeding normally occur more than once if it happens? Like would it come once a month or once throughout the pregnancy, etc?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really just depends on the person. Some women will have it occur in really small amounts off and on others one while some others still won't have it occur at all.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does dicidyal bleeding normally last for a few days when it happens? And you also said that it wouldn't normally resemble a period, so what's the difference?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often decidual bleeding is lighter, and it doesn't follow a pattern the way periods do (so if someone has bleeding during pregnancy when they would normally expect a period, that's just a coincidence). How long it lasts really varies from person to person: it can last for a day or several days.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

So if you've had 3 periods that come around the time they're supposed to, you can be sure that it's not decidual bleeding and you're not pregnant?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

That's right.

--------------------

Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Okay thanks so much for clearing that up for me! The idea of decidual bleeding was really confusing until now!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

phantom123
Neophyte
Member # 110637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phantom123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow i just found the answers i was looking for here. Thanks scarleteens!
Posts: 6 | From: Philippines | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.