Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sudden breakthrough bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sudden breakthrough bleeding
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 9 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I've been on LoEstrin 24 for almost 7 months now, with no breakthrough bleeding. Ever. Unless I forgot to take a pill. But now, all of a sudden, I'm getting breakthrough bleeding. Which concerns me.. Does that mean I have to change brands? Or go up the dose?

I'm really afraid that I have to, but I love how this brand has helped my skin and it's a low dose, so I have minimum side effects. Do I have to forego that for this breakthrough bleeding? It's mostly annoying but sometimes it can get pretty heavy.

I thought breakthrough bleeding was a thing that occurred mainly the early months of taking the pill. Also, how long should I wait for this breakthrough bleeding to last before talking to my OBGYN?

Thank you so much.

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding can happen anytime. It's not really a big deal, and as long as you have been taking all of your pills on time and as directed, you do not need to worry about a lowered effectiveness.

If this breakthrough bleeding goes on for a while and/or gets really heavy, it's worth mentioning to your gynecologist. But short of that, it's not a big deal and does not mean that you have to switch brands.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that!
I did call my OBGYN today, and the nurse said--get this--that since it was middle of the back bleeding, my hormone levels might've been fluctuated and I MIGHT have ovulated.

THE HECK.

This pill does not work too well?!

She also said it just happens sometimes, but it's weird that it just started now after so long. If it lasts longer, I have to get checked for polyps [Frown]

I'm hoping this is just a "it just happens" option she (and you) were talking about and that I'm not ovulating. That would mean I need a higher dose? (I'm on 20 mcg now.)

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill is designed to, among other things, prevent ovulation. ALL brands of the pill do this, regardless of the amount of the various hormones in them. So if you had ovulated, it would not mean that the pill dose is too low. Ovulation isn't really very likely unless you missed some pills.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.