Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pill
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen Staff,
I've been on the birth control pill for a month and about a week now.

I accidently took a pill from the wrong side of the second week of active pills. Are they different?

Also, could you please attach some articles about the pill? I'd like to learn all I can about them. Thanks so much!

And as it said in one of the articles, taking your pill on time is within a few hours? (like taking them in between 9-11 PM (target is 10PM, but sometimes I take it at 11 if I miss my phone alarm and 9 if it's easier to take it at that time)). Does this still keep me as a "perfect pill user"? I do manual and oral sex, but I like to take the pill as kind of a "peace of mind" thing.

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not one pill is different from another in a pack depends on your brand of pill. Your patient leaflet that comes with your pills should tell you that. Can you read it so we can know what the sitch is to help you best?

"Perfect" pill use is something determined in clinical tests and trials, so really, it's unlikely anyone is a perfect user, especially since perfect use is determined for one whole year. So, you want to aim for proper use, and yep, if you're taking a combined pill, taking it around the same time of day like that is the way to go.

On our main site -- http://www.scarleteen.com -- on the top right, you'll see a search option. If you put in "the pill" or "birth control pill" you'll get ...well, the same listings for pieces we'd look at to give you here! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

I'm not quite sure what you mean. All i know is that I use the brand Apri. Was there something else you needed me to look up on the packet sheet? [Smile]
Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trouble.

So, with your brand, all your active pills are exactly the same, so taking one day's instead of another's won't make any difference. Only if you take a placebo/inactive pill instead of an active will there be a problem.

Was the pill you took the same color as your other active pills, not the color of your placebos? If so, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Yes. I definitely took an active pill. I wasn't quite sure if they were different.

1 more quick question: why is the rubbing/touching of genitals considered a pregnancy risk if pre-cum does not contain sperm if the man went to the bathroom after the last ejaculation? ---I was just wondering because i've heard that before----

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

I guess the reason I am asking is because my boyfriend and I were trying a 69 and I was worried that I acidentally touched my vagina to his penis for not even a second. I doubt I actually did becasue I remember thinking "That was a close touch, back up" and my boyfriend said that he didn't feel anything touch it either...I was just wondering about the risks.

I'm on birth control and as you guys said, I'm considered a "perfect user" (haven't been late or missed one). I'd just like to know if that is considered a risk with the whole "pre-cum" thing when somebody has went to the bathroom several times before the last ejaculation.

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Question about the pill. Is it okay to take your pill early?

I took a pill at 9:00 one day (when my usual time is 10PM). Will I need to take the rest of my pills around that time or build back up to taking them at 10 (like tomorrow at 9:15, the next at 9:30, etc). Is it okay if I end up taking my pill at 11PM the next day?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with taking your pill an hour earlier or later than your usual time. The most important thing is that it be taken at the same time of day each day.

So, you can take tomorrow's pill at 10, without having to take it gradually later each day.

Here's more information about what constitutes a missed or late pill.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

And even if i'd take it at 11 (let's say on accident) it should be okay? I can always take them a little earlier if I have to, just not later?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.