Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HIV possibility?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV possibility?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
So I noticed what looked like I was bleeding on my finger and what appeared to be dried blood near the cut (I touched it and it didn't smear so I'm assuming it was dried blood). And stupidly since I assumed it was my blood I licked my finger after I rubbed it and the blood didn't come off. Like I said I'm assuming it was my own blood but if it wasn't, is there a risk of me contracting HIV from this incident? Assuming the blood wasn't mine and wasn't fully dried, of course.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would you have gotten someone else's blood on your finger?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I'm not sure. I interact with a lot of people at work and it could have happened. Could that way have given me HIV?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you had a cut on your hand, it sounds far more likely to have been your own dried blood, or another substance altogether.

Have you seen this article about HIV? If not, how about having a read then seeing what you think about your own possible risk. Then we can both be on the same page and discuss whether this is a risk or not.

Positively Informed: An HIV/AIDS Roundup

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes I har read that thank you. But this risk or not risk, whichever it may be, is a strange incidence so I was wondering if you could jut validate it directly?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry I meat evaluate** not validate, I mistyped.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry I would just like to know if that is a risk or not?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's the same as any other risk, except that you don't know if it happened or not. Oral contact with body fluids of someone infected with HIV does pose a risk of catching it.

I'm really having trouble understanding though how you would get someone else's blood on your hand without knowing it. It seems far more likely that it was your own dried blood since you had a cut, or that it was some other sort of dirt.

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I hand things out to large groups of people at my job so that's how. And I've had blood get on me without realizing it before ao this is why I'm asking. I'm assuming this blood was dried though since rubbing it didn't make it smear or anything. Is there still a risk there?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I guess I just want to know if this is something I should worry about or not?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'd say not. Though if you think you're at risk for getting other people's bodily fluids on your skin, you probably want to make a habit of not licking your hands unless you know you've recently washed them.

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes I know that. It was just instinct in thinking it was my own that made me do it.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

...and it most likely was your own.

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

That's all I wanted to know. You see blood on yourself and wonder where it came from right? Or is it just me?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Also just to be clear, does this incident itself warrante getting tested for it?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

???
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the idea that getting tested for any STI from case-to-case versus as a regular habit, as needed isn't sound.

So, if you're not already testing around once a year (or less often if you and your healthcare provider feel less often is fine, or more often if it's the other way round), then one wants to start, and you can tell your healthcare provider about both your sexual history and any possible exposures to STIs via work.

But with this, I'm guessing that if your employer doesn't have you wearing latex gloves with what you do, it's because you're not risking the kind of exposure that presents HIV risks in the workplace. Employers protecting workers from these kinds of risks is BIG-time OSHA stuff, with strict guidelines. So, if those risks were present, and your workplace isn't operating outside the law, you can be sure there would be policies about employees protecting themselves.

(P.S. Please don't bump threads which have been sitting for less than 12 hours. As noted in several places on the boards, our budget and staffing has been more strained than usual, so response time at the boards now can be as long as a 72-hour wait. If it's been longer than that, bump away, but otherwise, please be patient. In the event you ever need crisis care and are waiting, instead of bumping, do call your healthcare provider or local emergency room. Thanks.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thanks do much. So a regular basis check up is best ill remember that. And you're saying then that there really wasn't a risk here so I shouldn't worry? Sorry just wanna be sure im understanding clearly..
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thanks do much. So a regular basis check up is best ill remember that. And you're saying then that there really wasn't a risk here so I shouldn't worry? Sorry just wanna be sure im understanding clearly..
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HIV isn't something people are going to easily acquire outside of IV drug use or sexual scenarios. It's quite specific in how it is transmitted, and like I said, acquiring it in your workplace like this is beyond unlikely.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay gotcha. So no risk that needs attention here?
Heather
Member # 3

dorey, I really need you to please try and take the information we give you when we give it to you without asking us for it again and again, okay? We've made clear several times now, in several different ways, what your assessment of this is and that it was not at all likely you had any risk of HIV.

I'm going to close this thread now because we need to not get caught in a loop and I feel like the boundaries we've been setting with the pattern of your posts sometimes aren't being respected.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.