Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » No period, cramps, and negative HPT.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No period, cramps, and negative HPT.
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I took the advice from this site and got a pregnancy test.

It's been 13 days since my risk and it came out negative. Like a BIG negative, it showed up in seconds. I have been cramping on and off for about a week with sore breasts. No sign of period. The cramping and sore breasts stopped today. What gives? Like I said, I just recently got off the Pill -- got my first period off of it, now my second period is late. I have poked around the Internet and see that this is common.

Is it safe to assume I'm not pregnant? I plan on taking another test in a week. I also took an Answer pregnancy test and it comes without a cap, but I put it on a dry surface and made sure the tip didn't touch anything. Is this okay? Thanks for your time and patience. [Smile]

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is common for it to take a few cycles, sometimes more, to get back to a regular cycle after getting off hormonal contraceptives.

If your period is late and you took the test once it was, chances are it's accurate and you can trust you did not become pregnant. But sometimes if you do that RIGHT at the first late day or such, it can be to early, so by all means, if you still got nothin' in another week or so, you might want to test again.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! Yeah, I have NO idea when my period was supposed to be since going off the pill. It's been 6 weeks since my last one. :/ This is getting old.

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is just often part of the deal when you make a major change to your body, and by all means, going off, just like going on, a hormonal medication is a major change.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Just an update (because maybe it will help someone else out when they search): I got my period today. I guess the condom did not fail after all. Learned my lesson about drunk sex, but thank goodness I was safe. Next time I might not remember so well. [Smile] Thanks for your help! xo.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.