Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period questions
mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mysticgal12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I am on the orthro ever patch and I take it fairly religiously. But about 2 months ago right after me and my boy broke up, i didnt get my period. it eventually came 3 weeks late. However when it came it was super dark and only lasted a few days. I brushed it off as stress, but this time my period did the same thing, its really light (like barely there) and its very dark and thick. this isnt normal for me at all. and its starting to worry me a bit. what do u think could cause this?
Posts: 73 | From: sdgsdfgsd | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI mysticgal12 and welcome to Scarleteen.

How long have you been using the patch?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticgal12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been using the patch for well over a year. i never had any funky periods or anything before with it.
Posts: 73 | From: sdgsdfgsd | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you up-to-date with your general sexual healthcare, including your STI tests?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticgal12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
honestly this is the first boyfriend ive ever had and the first sexual relationship. so ive never really thought about things like that. and my mom isnt the worlds best person to talk to, tho she does know about my sex life.
mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

but he states that he has been tested after every person he has had a relationship with. and i trust him
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, but a partner's testing, when they have had it, still can't make up for our own, or tell us about our sexual health status. Plus, guys can't be tested for one of the STIs, so there's that.

To find out our STI status and our own sexual health, we need our own tests and exams.

You say you've been using the patch for a year, so isn't your annual exam for that alone coming up soon?

[ 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

i dont know i go thro planned parenthood and they havnt mentioned anything at all they just kinda give me the patches and send me out. i never even leave the waiting room
Heather
Member # 3

Well, Planned Parenthood actually has a policy that patients can get a first year of a method without an exam, but for the second year, they need to start annual bimanual exams and pap smears.

How about, regardless, YOU call them and arrange for an exam and infection check? If you're having weird discharges and bleeds like this, you have been sexually active, and even more, if you haven't been using condoms for all sex, then those have been a real risk you'll want to rule out. You'll also want to find out what is going on and make sure it's not something to worry about or where you need treatment.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

besides a std, what else do u personaly think could be going on?
Heather
Member # 3

Are you having any other symptoms besides the thick, dark discharge? Any cramping at any time? Any pain with intercourse? Anything else?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

no nothing. and it doesnt even smell. it just acts like a dark but really light period. its just weird.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, then it might be nothing at all.

But seriously, if you have been sexually active for a while and have not started sexual health exams and STI screenings, that really is neglecting an important part of your health. And if you have not always or do not still use condoms for safer sex, you're taking really big risks there, risks you should at least be managing by getting tested.

So, even without this, I'd suggest you do that. Since you have this, why not take that step and start that care, care you need anyway, and then ask about this, too, so your provider can check it out for you?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

i will. i dont wanna do anything irresponsible. he was my very first, and me and mom lack a relationship where i can talk to her without getting yelled at. so i dont always know where to go for help. and i dont know what questions to ask
Heather
Member # 3

That's okay.

But you can ask anyone at Planned Parenthood to schedule a bimanual exam, pap smear and STI screening for you. Then when you have that exam, you can tell them about these discharges and see what they have to say and let them look into it for you.

In the meantime, have you had any education around safer sex to know what you need to do to protect yourself?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

the CATS program used to come to our school and we had learned a bit that way. uhm..what is those tests ur talking bout tho? and how are they done?
Heather
Member # 3

Tests for sexually transmitted and genital infections are done by a visual exam during your bimanual exam (by a doctor looking at your genitals), from mucus collected from your cervical opening during your pap smear, and then from blood and urine tests. All STIs can be tested for via those things, and same goes for things like yeast or bacterial infections, not STIs, but general genital infections.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Here's some more info for you:
Your First Gynecologist Visit
Testing, Testing...
What Safer Sex Isn't
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

mysticgal12
Activist
Member # 95869

thank u
Heather
Member # 3

You got it! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.