Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom and ovulation.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom and ovulation.
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
So I have been on the Pill for 5 years and got off of it a few months ago. I recently had been out drinking and decided to have sex with a friend. I was very intoxicated, but specifically remember him wearing a condom and taking it off (after). Though I was drunk, I consider myself very responsible when it comes to sex. I kept on checking when he would re-enter to make sure there was no slippage. To my knowledge, there was not. I was ovulating at the time so I'm a little worried. Are condoms reliable as the only form of birth control or am I playing with fire not being on the pill? I have no idea when my period is due since I'm irregular since going off the pill. [Frown]

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, to my calculations my period should have been due anywhere on that Wednesday we had sex (16th) to tomorrow. There are no signs of my period anywhere! I wiped yesterday and saw the faintest brown spot in my discharge. Can having sex delay your period at all? Sorry to double post, I just realized my calculations.

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms, when used correctly, are very effective at protecting against pregnancy. If you used a condom for all genital contact and it did not slip off or break, you do not need to be concerned about a pregnancy risk.

Since your cycles are irregular right now, there is no way of predicting when you would be due for your next period. So if you are worried, your best bet is to wait and then take a pregnancy test at at least 14 days after the risk (that is, if you have not gotten your period by then).

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Okay, thank you! I just have two more questions:

1. I've read somewhere that when condoms break, is is very obvious. Not just a little tiny hole at the tip. Is this true?
2. If I don't get my period tomorrow, should I test or would that be too soon? It would be 4 days since intercourse.

Thanks again!

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. It tends to be, yes, like a broken balloon.
2. I'd go ahead and give it at least a few more days, just so that you don't wind up having to test again, especially since your periods have been irregular.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Ok, my period was on time last month (the first month off the pill). So I guess I'm a little late. It's been 5 weeks since my last period. I experienced this the last time I went off the pill. I re-checked and I should have gotten my period last Sunday if it was perfectly on time. I guess I should wait this out. Is it worth it to get Plan B since its been 4 days now or no? Thanks for your help.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't sound like the condom likely failed, and thus late in the game, Plan B isn't all that likely to give you much extra protection.

That said, you certainly can opt for that if you'd like, I'd just get it NOW, if so.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Okay, thank you very much for your help! I will test 14 days from that night.

--------------------
xo.

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

I was going to start a new thread here, but I decided to keep this question in the same one since it relates to what is going on.

So, I'm about 6 days past ovulation (I ovulated on the day I had intercourse). Today, I'm experiencing sharp pains in my abdomen area. It feels like a pinch. Of course, I wasted no time and googled it. It says this is common with implantation of the egg. Is this true? Is it possible it's too soon?

Also, I'm experiencing sore breasts right now. So I'm a teeny bit worried. [Razz]

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd strongly advise against googling these things, SittingPretty. Pretty much anything is listed as a "pregnancy symptom" on the internet, but most often it's just misinformation.

There's actually no pain with implantation, and it would be much, much too early for your breasts to be sore due to pregnancy.

Condoms are 98% effective at protecting against pregnancy with perfect use, and you've used them perfectly.

[ 05-28-2012, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Raemie ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may also find this article helpful:

Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.