Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill and period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill and period?
Amyyy
Neophyte
Member # 54946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, So I'm on the combined 21 day pill ovranette, and basically my question is, could I postpone my period by not taking the week out from my pill? My lease is nearly up for my house in collage, so that means I'll be moving back home for summer. My boyfriend and I were planning on making the most of the house before summer, cos during summer there wont be any need for me to be on the pill. The only problem is, that my period is due on the last week of my lease. If I didnt take the week out and just skipped on to the next pack will that postpone my period? I don't mind if my cycle gets messed up, cos I'll stop taking the pill in a few weeks nyways ..

Thanks again for your time ..x

--------------------
Amyyy

Posts: 25 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally with this, so long as someone is over 18 (no studies have been done on menstrual suppression for those under 18, so we have no idea if it poses serious health risks or not), and their healthcare provider doesn't see anything in their health history to suggest it's a bad idea, it's something that is likely okay for people to do, especially when it's only every now and then.

Mind, I'll always put in a vote that my hope is that any of us are in sexual relationships where having periods doesn't have to be a barrier to sexual activity we want, but I know the reality is that that's just not the case for some folks.

So, yes, you can skip your placebos and move right into the new pack per the caveats above. Whether or not you'll still get your withdrawal bleed, though, is up for grabs. Sometimes skipping placebos does mean not getting it, sometimes it shows up all the same.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amyyy
Neophyte
Member # 54946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

--------------------
Amyyy

Posts: 25 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.