Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC pills making me feel sick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC pills making me feel sick
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on my combination birth control pills since October (Nortrel 1/35)

For the most part, I haven't had any major side effects that a lot of women say they have. The first couple months I had some acne and nausea but that went away after a while.

Now I notice that the first few days/week I'm back on my active pills after the placebo week I feel bad. I get frequent headaches and some cramping. Is this normal with birth control pills? I have made an appointment to talk to my doctor about it but I can't get in for a few more weeks and I'm just curious.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes we can experience new side-effects of the pill, even after we've been on one brand with no problems for a while.

This doesn't indicate that there is anything going wrong, so you don't necessarily need to switch pills. But if you feel that the new side-effects are really impacting your daily life, you can ask to switch to a different pill.

Either way, it is a good idea to let your prescribing doctor know what's up, so they have all the relevant information they need to provide the best care for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I didn't know if new side effects could crop up or not.

I have another question, and I really need help with it but I am too afraid to post it on the boards for my own safety. I know there is a password protected board for that, or could I private message someone? I just feel scared to post about it on here in case someone else would find it.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you go ahead and send a message describing your situation via the "contact us" button, and we'll see what we can do.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Ok will do! Thanks!
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Hi,

I sent the message today. It is very long and I apologize ahead of time for that. I prefer to send this privately due to the fact that the person I am writing about could potentially find me.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CraftyKid: I got your email today. I'll get back to you about it tomorrow. (And it's okay it's long: big stuff usually is.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Take your time, as it isn't an emergency just getting some things out there.

Thanks!

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Hi Heather,

sorry to bombard with messages, I am just making sure I provided the correct email. I noticed my message was not in the "sent" folder on my email. Maybe it doesn't show up in there because I sent it on here. I am very paranoid as you can tell. The email should be the same one that I use for my account on here.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay. And no, if you used our contact form, then the email you sent won't show up in your email since it doesn't use your email to send it. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Ok great, I was just worried. If I had typo-ed my email address, it could go to the wrong person...which could be bad.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.