Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill question
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you've answered this before, so I apologize, but I have a question about what to do if missing a pill. I won't be able to get my new pack refilled until Monday, meaning I'll miss Sunday. I usually take my pill at 8 p.m., and the pharmacy opens at 9 a.m...I'm gonna get there promptly and get my new pack ASAP. I'll take the missed Sunday pill that morning and the Monday pill at my regularly scheduled time. Is this a wise course of action? Does it matter that it's a new pack so I'll be missing the first pill? My partner and I usually have sex without a condom, but he always pulls out right on time (we have it down to a science, haha). Can we still keep doing this even if I am late taking the Sunday pill, or am I now at an increased risk of pregnancy?

Thanks very much for your time!

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first pill of the new pack is pretty important. Taking it as soon as you get it, then taking your Monday pill is definitely what you should be doing. I've looked through our resources and I'm not finding information about this specific situation. I will ask other staff and volunteers, but one thing you can do is ask your pharmacist when you pick up your pack whether starting it the morning after you ordinarily would will compromise its effectiveness.

You mentioned that your boyfriend always pulls out "right on time". If you are using that as a secondary form of birth control it's important to know that effective use of the "withdrawal method" entails the guy withdrawing well before ejaculation. Here's some more info on that:

Withdrawal

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to get my prescription refilled at a different pharmacy (which didn't work) but when I asked the pharmacist she said that I should be fine, especially because I've been taking it so long.

As for withdrawal, my boyfriend always pulls out before he ejaculates and does not come anywhere near my genitals. That's what pulling out entails, right? [Smile] If we're doing something wrong then please tell me and we'll talk about other forms of back up!

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Hi! I just wanted to follow up with something. I did a little digging on the internet and found that if I miss a pill/start a pack 1 day late, to just take two pills the next day, and that no back up contraception is needed.

The source I found is UC Davis' Health Services website, so that strikes me as pretty reliable. Thoughts?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, you got it on the withdrawal.

Yes, that sounds about right with the information. Besides, you're already using a backup method. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

[Smile] Oh I am so relieved...this is my first time ever being late and I was stressing out about it! Thank you so much for all your help and patience!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.