Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Periods...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Periods...
kittycat612
Neophyte
Member # 95683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittycat612         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My breasts seem to get extremely tender and ache before my period. They've been hurting for almost a week now and my period is due sometime this week.

Why do some women's boobs hurt a week or two before their period and some people's don't hurt at all?

What is it that makes breasts tender before the "time of the month"?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittycat612
Neophyte
Member # 95683

Is the day that your egg-white discharge is the heaviest the day you're ovulating? I started light discharge on wed and thursday and heavy on Friday and Saturday.

Does this mean my period should be coming tomorrow? (14 days from 2 wednedsdays ago?)

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittycat612
Neophyte
Member # 95683

I also have some pasty white discharge that could potentially be rolled up into a ball...that is all I have been having for the last few days. Does this mean my period is coming?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Premenstrual breast pain is from the hormonal fluctuations that happen during the cycle, particularly after ovulation. Everyone's body is different, which is why some women experience more or less breast pain, and some dont' experience it at all. I have read that this type of breast pain is more common for younger women.

Here's a Scarleteen article on breasts in general, and a link from WebMD on breast pain specifically.

Abreast: The Basics of Boobies

http://women.webmd.com/tc/breast-pain-mastalgia-topic-overview

Cervical mucus can tell us a lot about where we are in our cycle, but what it means varies somewhat from person to person so it takes a while of tracking our own unique changes to understand what's going on. The menstrual period won't necessarily start 14 days after ovulation. While it's roughly two weeks for many people, many others don't run on a 28 day cycle, and lots of individual factors can make a cycle longer or shorter, either in general or at any given time.

For more information on what different types of cervical mucus can mean, take a look at this:

Get With the Flow: All About FAM

I hope this is helpful. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.