Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Strange withdrawal bleed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange withdrawal bleed
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again. So I have my withdrawal bleed right now but it's lighter than usual. Not as light as spotting, there is bleeding that's bright red, and was dark red in the beginning, but lighter than usual. I've had cramping as well that has been quite uncomfortable but has stopped now. I thought it was going to be a heavy one because I cramped yesterday morning quite a bit and bled completely through a tampon in 2 hours. This is the end of the second day of the bleed and I'm just confused as to what could have made it so much lighter? Other than the risk I had close to 4 months ago, I haven't had any sexual contact (unless it's possible to do it in your sleep and not know it!). I just want to know what the cause could be? Couldn't be decidual bleeding could it?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lighter withdrawal bleeds can happen for pretty much the same reasons lighter periods do: illness, stress, changes in diet or weight or sleep schedules, more exercise, all sorts of things. And sometimes there's no obvious reason at all. Just because you're on the pill doesn't mean that your bleeds won't ever vary a bit; the pill creates an artificial cycle but it doesn't make your body immune to the influences of all those things I listed above.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Oh okay. So I shouldn't assume it's somehow I'm some crazy way decidual bleeding? And I really want to know, would bleeding in pregnancy even heavy enough to use up multiple pads an tampons?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If bleeding that heavy happened during pregnancy, it would be cause for alarm.

Our bodies are variable, and as Karybu said there are lots of nonconcerning reasons for a lighter than usual withdrawal bleed.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a general rule, if it shows up when you expect a withdrawal bleed, feels like a withdrawal bleed, and looks pretty much like a withdrawal bleed (and some variation in all of the above is normal, remember) then a withdrawal bleed is what it is.

We've said before many times that pregnancy is not possible for you. Bleeding during pregnancy does happen and it can range from spotting to heavier bleeding, but you are not pregnant, and there's no reason to think that what you're experiencing now is anything other than your withdrawal bleed.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thanks so much for the info! And I do usually go by that general rule about if it looks and feels like it and comes at the same time, but can you explain what a variation of that is? Like can it be a big variation and still be normal?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

The kind of variation you need to be concerned about would be something like expecting your period but having only very light spotting for a day, for example. If the flow is just a bit lighter or heavier than usual, or it lasts a day longer or is a day or two shorter, that kind of thing? That's not cause for concern. Ultimately though, you know your own body best, so there is a certain amount of going with your gut feeling with this sort of thing.

--------------------

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay do since I'm on my third day and it's usually only 5 that's normal? I guess I don't really know how to recognize my gut feelings here since I have to ask what's normal [Frown]
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Also today it seems I'm bleeding a little more than yesterday, and I just passed what looked like a blood clot that was dark red..maybe those happen typically and I dont notice, but what does that mean? Also can you differentiate between bleeding and spotting for me?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having clots of blood and even tissue is pretty common with menstural bleeding; less so when someone is on birth control because the lining is generally thinner, but it can still happen.

It's also not abnormal for the amount of flow to change from day to day.

Spotting is generally a little bit of blood that may come out off and on but isn't continuous bleeding.

The withdrawal bleed you're describing sounds typical enough, even if it is different from what you usually experience. Remember: even with hormonal birth control our bodies aren't machines; they won't do things the exactly the same way every single time.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

So you're saying spotting wouldn't be enough to fill more than one or two tampons or pads? I'm sorry I'm still having trouble differentiating.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's what I'm saying. Spotting would be seeing spots of blood on your underwear.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.