Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed pill?? First time :( please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed pill?? First time :( please help!
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on hormonal birth control for the past 1 year and I've been a perfect pill user ( never taking pills more than an hr between) but last night I totally forgot to take my pill [Frown] I usually take it around 1030pm, I just woke up right now around 650AM and took it as soon as I remembered, so it's been about a 9 hr difference. It was the Tuesday pill of the second week in the pack. Does this count as a missed pill? Is my protection compromised? Also, I just went to the bathroom
(number 2) after taking it. It wasn't diarrhea it was the normal bowel movement that I have every morning, but not sure if it can affect the absorption. Do I have to do anything now or do I keep taking the rest of my pills at night as normal.

Please me know!

[ 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to consider a pill late until it has been more than 12 hours since your regular pill time. So, since it has been only 9 hours, you don't have any reason for concern.

A regular bowel movement also won't affect your protection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you so much. Since i took my pill later than usual Does this mean that i might experience some breakthrough bleeding or a change in my withdrawal bleed? I also have another question. I'm going in to the dentist to get a root canal done and they said that I'll need to take antibiotics. Can you please tell me which antibiotics do not compromise the effectiveness of the pill?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the pill a bit later than usual may cause some spotting, but since it's a one off deal and you weren't that terribly late, it's pretty unlikely.

As far as the antibiotics go, you will want to ask your doctor or pharmacist about this. Whenever you are prescribed medication, it's a sound idea to mention all medications you are already taking, so that the doctor or pharmacist can talk to you about possible drug interactions.

[ 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So it's been a month since my last withdrawal bleed. The last one I got was wednesday a month ago, and on the last pill that I was on, I got all my bleeds on the same day of the 4th week of the pack. However on this new pill (which I've been on for 2 cycles now), I should've gotten my bleed today and I still haven't. Should I worry about this? Could that missed pill in the middle of the pack have affected anything?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as it takes the body a while to adjust to the pill when someone first starts to take it, it can take a while for the body to adjust to a new pill brand. Your withdrawal bleed not coming today isn't anything to worry about.

What day of your placebo pills are you on?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Well I started on Sunday so tonight (Wednesday night) will be my 4th pill, I've taken 3 placebo pills so far. I looked on the Aviane insert and it said that withdrawal bleeds should start after 3 placebo pills which is kind of what sparked the thought in my head that it should be here right now because I started on Wednesday last month
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can take a few cycles of taking a new pill before your body settles in. The fact that your withdrawal bleed hasn't arrived yet isn't abnormal/worrying. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So I got my withdrawal bleed on Thursday, a day later than I expected it. Its different through. My bleeds are usually light brown spotting on the first day, heavy red/maroon with tissue on the second and finish up brown spotting on the third day. This bleed has been light brown spotting for the past two days only when I while or use a tampon. Should this be worrisome to me? Can it be implantation bleeding?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gong to hold a line I've talked about us holding that I think is really important. Becoming pregnant, after all, isn't an issue of birth control working or not first, there has to have been some potential, real risk of pregnancy in the first place.

In the last cycle, have you engaged in any of the kinds of sex -- namely, genital intercourse -- that can present a risk of pregnancy?

If not, then no, this cannot be implantation bleeding because you cannot have become pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

No I don't think I've had any of those risks. Is it normal for withdrawal bleeds to change consistency like this? I always bleed a lot but this time there's no such blood
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You would know if you'd had those risks, yes?

And yes, it is normal for withdrawal bleeds to change consistency. You've probably seen me say before that our bodies are not machines. Changes in amount, duration, etc, of in a withdrawal bleed are par for the course of having a human body.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.