Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no...what I'm saying is that drinking water before a pregnancy test is okay...and I was wondering where you had heard that it wasn't.

You would know you were pregnant because after 5 or 6 months you'd have pretty big changes to your body and how you were feeling. You also wouldn't be having regular withdrawal bleeds.

Also want to check in with you about getting in touch with that behavioural therapy clinic. How is that going?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well for one, the last time I did seriously risky activity was January 30th ish. so I guess something could have caused a positive since. I read it on many websites. They said not to flush your body with water, which was exactly what I did. So I can't trust them. Also body changes and pain are very normal for me as I have ehlers danlos syndrome (like juvenile arthritis) which gives me back and chest and hip, leg, arm, neck and pretty much everywhere else pain. So I'm afraid I wouldn't really notice any body changes. Should I go retest? I can't take a blood tesat, only urine tests, and even those are nearly impossible to get to.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not flushing your body with water and drinking ordinary amounts of water as you would any other day are two very different things. Does that make sense?

Are you having regular withdrawal bleeds?

Remember, too, that while you are not taking your pill for birth control purposes, it will still likely offer you some measure of protection.

Nothing you're describing here is setting off alarm bells, except for your heightened anxiety and worry which I think is helping you look for problems that just don't exist. *gentle smile*

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes I understand the difference:) I was drinking like 8 cups of water. Like ALOT. I have only had one week of placebo pills since December. I have had light pink mucus and a bit of spotting. I had dark red/black spotting that burned jan-feb if I remember correctly. So I'm not sure how normal that is.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

So with the exception of that one week of placebo pills you've been taking the hormonal pills straight through? This means you would not get a withdrawal bleed.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I guess yes. I mean I spot when I miss pills?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Nodding. The way the birth control pill works is that while one is taking the hormonal pills one won't shed one's uterine lining. Sometimes there is spotting, often called breakthrough bleeding. When one takes the placebo pills, it allows the body to shed the uterine lining. This is why it's called a withdrawal bleed.

'

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay. So if get bleeding during placebo pills that's a good sign?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, that's your body functioning as you would expect it to if you weren't pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay thank you:) So what should I do about the one maybe positive and the negative 10 weeks later? Should I retest?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As with any sort of medical test, the most recent result would be the one reflecting your current state, so retesting would only be beneficial if it helps you mentally and emotionally.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay, I'm back. I'm very concerned. I've recently developed abdominal pain-- and low back pain. At first I thought it was me being paranoid, but it's unignorable! I feel stabbing in my pelvic region on both sides, upper abdomen cramps and a very tender lower abdomen and directly above my belly button. Parts of my belly, especially under my belly button, feel hard. It really feels wrong. I keep feeling shifting and like I'm being kicked, especially if I laugh had. I'm terrified:'( copuld that negative have been wrong?:'((
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unexplained pain is always something to get checked out by a doctor. So, I would recommend that you call your doctor and make an appointment.

However, there is no reason to suspect pregnancy because of this. As we have explained to you above, you can trust the negative result you have received. Also, sudden, severe abdominal pain is not a symptom of early pregnancy.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

It's not necessarily severe, but it is different kinds of pain. So even though I never reliably took birth control I still shouldn't suspect pregnancy?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Pain is not a symptom of pregnancy.

Unexplained pain should be checked out by a health care professional though.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay. On my last cycle of pills, I had painful back bleeding of thick mucous for a few weeks. Now on this cycle for a few weeks I constantly have light pink blood or mucous whenever I wipe. Could I have had an eptopic pregnancy at the time when I had that weird positive test? Would that explain all my cramping and stabbing pains? I've been feeling this pain for a few weeks now, it's bizarre. But I did have that negative test about ten weeks later that you said I could trust. I have an appointment for my primary doctor for friday but I would be horrified if they told me I had an eptopic pregnancy. Please tell me I'm just freaking out.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, though, that you had several negative pregnancy tests several days apart, yes? Not just that one at the clinic?

So with numerous negative tests, at various points after the risk, it's safe to rule out any pregnancy.

But if you are worried about this pain, it's certainly a good idea to be seen by a doctor.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

No, I just had one. I took lots of clinic tests but I did them incorrect,y by drinking wayy too much water before hand or or going late in the day after urinating right before, etc. They're just not reliable. They were all negative, but no one ever told me that you have to hold your urine and you can't just chug water and that afternoon urine isn't very strong. So technically I only have ne test I took where I held my urine for 5 hours and did not drink anything during that time. and that one was taken ten weeks after my suspicious teast.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Can you tell us where you got the idea that chugging water, testing in the afternoon, or both negates the test results?

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

It's on practically every pregnancy testing site. It says to avoid testing late afternoon, not to flush your body with water, and not to urinated for 5 hours before.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

A question for you: Would the clinic you got your testing done at be offering late afternoon pregnancy testing if it wasn't c considered accurate?

--------------------
Robin

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

There is a difference between drinking a normal amount of water, and flushing your body with water. As Sarah Liz explained earlier in this thread, you do not need to worry about invalid tests unless you chugged literally liters of water right before taking the test. If you just took in fluids as you normally would over the course of a day, the result is perfectly reliable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Alright. well I am experiencing now every symptom of ectopic and I called my obgyn. They said their tests aren't very reliable at any point in pregnancy and they're going to have me come in and try to figure it out, and do a blood test. Can you explain to me how this will all work?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm not sure what the gyn has planned, but it sounds like they will give you a blood test, and probably a pelvic exam. Depending on what they find, they may well either refer you for an ultrasound or do an ultrasound right in the office.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

do they have to do transvaginal? I have never had pentrative sex so I would expect it to be very painful?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

and also can ectopic be ruled out by a blood test in itself?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

A blood test can rule out a pregnancy. If the blood test were to come up positive, they would then investigate further to see if there is a connection between that and the pain you are experiencing.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay. I just had to cancel that appointment because I have a different appt. with my primary doctor to look at other causes of the pain. I can't tell them about the pregnancy possibility because my dad will be there. But at this point, if I was pregnant at all, the least I would probably be is about 15 weeks. Wouldn't something worse have happened by now?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

oh and also, if it was ectopic, could a test be negative even if there is a ectopic pregnancy? or will ectopic pregnancies secrete the hcg until they are removed?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The appointments conflicted?

You are allowed to ask your Dad to leave the room if you have concerns that you wish to discuss with your GP.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I know, but he'll get really angry with me. what did you think about what I said about 15 weeks?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

also, they will probably do an ultrasound to look for the source of the pain. would they find an ectopic if that's what it is?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm curious what makes you think this is an ectopic pregnancy. AT this point all you know is that you're having abdominal pain. And you have endometriosis yes? Which can be a cause of abdominal pain.

And yes, an ectopic pregnancy or any other abnormality would show up on a pelvic ultrasound. Pelvic ultrasounds are used to diagnose and monitor many different types of conditions.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

It won't be pelvic, but abdominal. will it still be caught IF there is one? I talked to my GP about it and she said it would:) she also is gonna to a quantitative hcg blood test for my peace of mind:)
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, abdominal can include the lower abdomen/pelvic area, particularly if you let people know you're concerned about pregnancy.

Sounds like you were able to talk to your GP after all.

--------------------
Robin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.