Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Urghh really confused about my BC Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urghh really confused about my BC Pills
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
So I've been on the Pill (Cilest) since November 2011, I had been on them before but quit taking them for a while back in September 2011 after being on them for a year, but changed my mind and went back on them in November.
This is now my 5th (or maybe even 6th?) month of being on the Pill again and I'm usually SO good at taking my Pill, I never miss one because I have high anxiety issues anyway so I would just completely freak out if I missed one.
But yesterday I checked my Pill pack and apparently I'm missing one?! I now can't remember if I doubled up one day or one of the pills fell out of its packet, but surely I would've noticed. I'm just really panicking I've missed one without noticing, I had sex last Thursday and Sunday too.
I'm really really stressed out and worried, my period isn't due for around 12 days but I'm seriously getting so scared. [Frown]
Anyone help me please?

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't stress.

The pill that's missing: is it one in a place where you would have already taken it, or one you're supposed to take later on in your cycle (later than today)?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67074 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if I didn't take it would my risk of pregnancy be high? :\ I'm really freaking out over getting pregnant.

And its in a place where I would've taken it, I just cannot remember for the life of me if I doubled up (which I tend to do ocassionally) or it fell out of its packet but I'm guessing I would've noticed I'm usually very good at taking my pills.

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick with me, okay? You're saying a pill is missing for a time BEFORE today or any day in the rest of your pack?

In other words, a pill that SHOULD be missing if you'd taken all your pill in the pack prior to this properly?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67074 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes its missing before today, at least I THINK its missing. I'm very confused now lol. Just my Pill packet ends on a Wednesday when it usually ends on a Thursday which is strange, it is missing in a place where I should've took a pill already too. I'm realllly confused.

--------------------
xoxoxo

Heather
Member # 3

I'm sorry if I seem daft, but it just doesn't sound to me like you're missing a pill that shouldn't be missing.

It sounds, though, like this is about very much wanting to avoid becoming pregnant. Is that right? If so, are you using only your pill for contraception, or doubling up with another method, like condoms?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

I may just be over thinking things lol.

And I only use the Pill as contraception as I am allergic to condoms which is the reason why I went on the Pill.

--------------------
xoxoxo

Heather
Member # 3

You mean you're allergic to latex?

If so, you know they make condoms that are not latex so latex-allergic people can use them, yes?

Condoms aren't your only option, but sounds like this is a big enough deal for you that using dual contraception -- two methods, not one, so you can always have a backup and stress less at moments like this -- would be a better bet than only using the pill. Dual contraception is also much more effective than a single method.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

I didn't know that thank you I will look for latex free condoms [Smile]

So what do you think my risk of pregnancy is? Can I try to relax a little bit?

--------------------
xoxoxo

Heather
Member # 3

No trouble. In the UK, you should be able to find Lifestyles/Mates SKYN, Trojan Supra, Protex Original 0.02, or Pasante Sensiva or Unique, all of which are non-latex.

Like I said, from what I can gather, you're doing fine with pill use. In typical use, the combined pill is 92% effective, in perfect use, over 99% (all figures for one year of use), so if you're using it properly without missing pills (taking extras when not needed isn't proper use, just fyi), then you're probably somewhere around 95% protected in a year.

Whether or not that's enough for you is your call: it is for some people, others want more protection than that.

You also, btw, have the option of a method you don't have to take every day if that part of the pill is stressful for you, which it sounds like it is. With a jab, you'd only have to go in for it every three months, an implant can be in for years and you don't have to do anything at all for it to work.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Thanks so much. So even if I missed that one pill I would be around the 95% range? I think I'm going to switch to the shot once these horrible 12 days are up!

--------------------
xoxoxo

Heather
Member # 3

When -- and if - pills are missed, that's typical use, so more like the 92% figure.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Thanks so much [Smile] I'm pretty relieved to know the protection hasn't drastically dropped even if I didn't take it for that one day which is probably pretty unlikely. Thanks again for your help

--------------------
xoxoxo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.