Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » picking out birth control, couple questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: picking out birth control, couple questions
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomrandomusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm shopping around my birth control options and I have a couple questions. I am set up to start Nuvaring in about a week, but I'm not positive I'll want to stick with that.

For one, it has typical use rates the same as birth control. I might just be misunderstanding the statistics, but isn't the whole point of Nuvaring that it's easier to do right than the pill? How easy is it to use Nuvaring incorrectly? What are the most common ways it's used incorrectly (if you know)?

From the way I understand it, you put it in when the gyno tells you (for me, the start of my next period), you leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for one week, an then put in a brand new ring (aiming for the same time of day as the previous one) and start over. If it falls out for less than 3 hours, wash it, put it back in, and you're fine. More than 3 hours, put in a new one and give it a cycle to reset, being sure to use other methods. Watch out for antibiotics, they make the ring less effective.

Is there something about Nuvaring that's really difficult that I'm missing? I mean, I see how each of the things I listed could be done incorrectly. Thanks for humoring me.

And about the implant, which has pretty much no difference in typical use, why is that less popular? Is there some well-known flaw with it? I had a hard time getting information from my doctor on it, the practice is Catholic and didn't offer it at all. Thanks!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

Yes, you pretty much have all the specifics of the dos and don'ts with the ring. Since it stays in for three weeks rather than ahving to be taken every day, like the pill, there is less chance of using it incorrectly on a daily basis. The typical use numbers are based on statistics of how many women got pregnant within a year of use for each birth control method. As with all statistics the numbers may not represent what is actually going on. While the ring seems easier to use the numbers just happened to work out to be similar for typical uuse of it and the Pill. I could hypothesize as to why that is, but it would all be gueswork.

The implant is still relatively new. Many health care providers dont
' provide it or haven't completed their training in administering it. There was also a brand of implant that was taken off the market, and it may well be that the general public still has a negative association with the implant in general because of the problems with the previously used brand. Side effects for the implant are similar to those with other hormonal forms of birth control. Effectiveness is very high and there is little to no chance of user error.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomrandomusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, I got to start my ring today! I know I have to wait until after my first cycle on the ring for it to be fully effective. Is this at all affected by antibiotics? I know they make the ring less effective, but will I have to go through this cycle and the next to wait for it to be effective?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics can have an impact on the effectiveness of the Ring but only for the cycle in which they're taken. So if you're still taking antibiotics when you begin your second cycle, then yes you'll want to continue using an additional method of birth control, but if you've stopped taking them then start a new cycle there won't be any impact on the Ring's effectiveness.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard of birth control interacting with weird things from vitamins C and B12 to grapefruit juice. Do you know where i could find a comprehensive list of what makes it less effective?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There is no evidence that hormonal birth control interacts with vitamins. There is a list of the substances known to interact with hormonal birth control in this article:

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.