Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elephantine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just started birth control for the first time, and I'm on day 8 of my first pack. The doctor said I would be protected after 7 days, as I did a Sunday start. Midweek, I was an hour late taking a pill. Will this have any effect, or am I still able to have sex, and be protected, as of now? Thank you!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on a combination pill? If so, and you never took a pill more than 12 hours after your pill time, you have been taking the pill correctly.

However, we still recommend waiting one full month before you rely on the pill alone for protection. While most pill brands claim to be effective after one week if you start on the first day of your cycle (or the first Sunday after), not every body reacts the same way to the hormones. So, if you want to be extra safe, it's a good idea to back up with condoms for a little bit longer.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elephantine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what I planned to do. It's good to know about the 12 hours, though. Thank you!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

So, to sort of piggy-back off of this, I did a Sunday start, as my doctor said, to start, but it wasn't the first Sunday after I'd had my period. It was just the first Sunday after I went to the doctor. At any rate, I had sex with a condom, with withdrawal (perfect use), with my boyfriend, on day 8 of my pack, under the impression that I would, theoretically be protected after those first 7 days ( I didn't know what a Sunday start really meant, as no one told me). My boyfriend took off the condom, after sex, no breaks, nothing, and we went for a walk for about half an hour. When we came back, we did a tick check, and he pulled apart my outer labia to check there, without having washed his hands.

Yesterday I started bleeding, but it's incredibly, incredibly light, and very pink, and it started when I would normally have started my period not on the pill. Today, it's still really light, blood rather than discharge, I believe, but more brownish- like discharge. Do I have to worry about this being implantation bleeding, because of the misconception with the Sunday start in any way?

elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

To be clear, in case one hadn't read the earlier post, this is my first ever birth control pack.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're absolutely fine.

After half an hour, any sperm in the semen that might have been on your boyfriend's hands would have died. Sperm need a very particular environment in which to survive, and need the semen in order to swim. So no problem on that count. [Smile]

Also, implantation bleeding, which is really very rare, would virtually never happen just a few days after sex. It takes several days, usually a week or more, for implantation in the uterus to occur.

Sounds like you're using birth control in the most effective way. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize. I didn't address the bleeding except to say that it isn't implantation bleeding.

Spotting, light bleeding between periods (which are actually called withdrawal bleeds when you're on the birth control pill), is pretty typical of being on the Pill, especially for the first few months of taking it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.