Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questionable bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questionable bleeding
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomrandomusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, last sunday, my boyfriend and I had sex. I was sure he put the condom on right and everything, but I still kind of freaked out about not being sure if it slipped, even though he never ejaculated (I have anxiety problems that are a separate issue) and took plan B, within 24 hours. It was the sixth day of my cycle, which is about 33 days long.

Here's the thing, that's how long it is when it's regular. It often skips a month or two, and has once or twice been only about two weeks long (several days of bleeding, like a week and a half off, more bleeding).I've been regular for about the four past months, and before that I was really irregular.

So, yesterday, on the 12th day of my cycle, I started bleeding again. It started out lighter but has become bright red, heavy like a period with some cramping. Is this a period again, or from the EC? If it's from the EC, how long should it last? thanks,

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomrandomusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S., there are no clots, which I almost always see at my period. Thanks again,
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleeding is a very common side effect of EC, so I see no cause for concern here. I'm afraid I can't let you know how long it'll last; as everyone is so unique with this, there isn't a set time, or even an estimate.

Just for your own info; it's fine if a condom slips upwards. It's only a problem if it slips right off the penis and into your vulva.

Here's a link to our article on condoms that might help to reassure you; Condom Basics - A User's Manual.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just noticed your second post. [Smile]

Just as it's common for periods to vary in cycle length and flow level; it's also common for them to look differently sometimes - be that in colour or texture.

[ 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Hi, thanks so much for your response.

Ok then, I was just wondering if I ought to cancel the gyn appointment I have on Monday, since you're not supposed to have one when bleeding. It's too late now the office is closed for the weekend, anyway, so I guess I'll just wait and see and call in on Monday [Smile] .

I think I can assume that this bleeding is a side affect of the hormones, then, not a real period?

And that's great news about the condom, "slip" is an awfully vague word to throw around in a sex ed class...But that's what this awesome site is for!

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Periods can come early sometimes, and be very random indeed; and that's not a cause for concern either. However, it's much more likely that it's bleeding from the EC, yes.

And I hear you about the word 'slip'; it was thrown around in my own sex ed too, causing much woe for me as a teen! [Smile]

--------------------

randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Ok, thanks so much for all your help. Is there a certain amount of time when, if the bleeding hasn't stopped, I should ask a doctor? I mean, if it goes on constantly for weeks, obviously that's an issue, but they don't have an estimate on that either? Thanks for your time!
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

It's always a good idea to check in with a doctor about bleeding, anyway (or anything that seems different with our vaginal health). If it's still here today, I'd see a doctor when you can and mention the EC.

[ 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------

randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

So the bleeding went away on time and was a nonissue. However, I still haven't gotten my period. I took a pregnancy test about three days ago and it came out negative. However, I misread the instructions and held it absorbent-end down for about a minute before laying it flat. I also may have urinated on it a hair longer than five seconds. Finally, i didnt take it the.morning, although the brand instructions said that wasnt necesary. It was first response, btw. Could either of these give me a false negative?

I'm thinking I'll test again to be sure, but should I be worried about a false negative? I'm nearly two weeks late.

randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

So the bleeding went away on time and was a nonissue. However, I still haven't gotten my period. I took a pregnancy test about three days ago and it came out negative. However, I misread the instructions and held it absorbent-end down for about a minute before laying it flat. I also may have urinated on it a hair longer than five seconds. Finally, i didnt take it the.morning, although the brand instructions said that wasnt necesary. It was first response, btw. Could either of these give me a false negative?

I'm thinking I'll test again to be sure, but should I be worried about a false negative? I'm nearly two weeks late.

randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Sorry for the second post, my back button messed me up.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long was the bleeding? and how long ago did it end? Keep in mind that if you had bleeding, no matter what the reason was, it's going to change your cycle. Your period comes because it's time to shed the uterine lining. If that lining has already been shed then your period isn't going to come just because it's the day or week when it's supposed to arrive. [Smile]

If your pregnancy test said that morning urine wasn't necessary then not using morning urine isn't a problem. [Smile] I can't tell you whether the way you took the test would produce a false negative. If you're concerned your best bet is to take another one.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Ok, thanks for your response. I got another negative this afternoon after doing it right.

If I were counting my cycle from the day when the bleeding ended, I would still be 4 days late. I'm about 11 days late from my normal cycle. I also have a smallish infection on my skin over the last week, I went to the doctor for it earlier and start antibiotics today. Is it possible this delayed it, or possibly finals stress?

I've just been kinda freaked out by the forums I've been reading, my breasts are sore but I have no other pregnancy or pms symptoms. Is this from the plan b maybe? I know it's so unlikely that I'm late, especially with 2 negatives under my belt, the plan b, and the very small risk to begin with, but the fact my period still isn't here is still freaking me out.

randomrandomusername
Neophyte
Member # 95236

Ok, scratch all that, I got my period today. Thanks so much for all the support from Scarleteen!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.