Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom woes
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 11 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope this doesn't come off as a dumb question, but here we go. I had sex a day ago with a condom as the only form of protection against pregnancy/sti's, and I don't think that my guy put it on properly because there didn't seem to be any space at the top (reservoir tip I think?) during intercourse. Granted I really don't know how condoms are supposed to go on and he's the one that always puts them on :s Anyways, Usually he pulls out before he goes but he finished inside of me and when he pulled out the semen seemed to be at the tip but when I got up something leaked out so I'm not sure if it was semen or if it was just a combination of lube (we used a lot, and applied it throughout when the condom started to feel dry) and my own fluids or if I have something to worry about.

Does the fact that it was potentially not put on right because of a lack of space at the top of the condom pose a risk of pregnancy? I just had a withdrawal bleed from stopping my birth control completely that ended the night before we had sex so don't really know if a risk would even be there considering that. Really sorry for the long question especially if it comes off as naive. [Frown] I just want to be sure I'm being as safe as I can be since my body doesn't tolerate birth control really well condom's are the go to method.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no risk here. One great thing about condoms is that we can know if they've worked or not - because if they haven't broken or slipped off into the vulva, they've worked. The fluid you saw was likely a mix of your own lubricants and the lube you were appling - whivh it sound like you're using perfectly. [Smile]

However, not having space at the tip is something that can cause condoms to break. This time it didn't, but my best advice to you is to read about how to use them yourself, so that you and your partner are both very good at using your chosen method of contraception together.

Here's an article - Condom Basics - with all the details on how to use condoms perfectly, which perhaps you and your partner can read together, and then have a practice at doing, so that you're both up to speed when you'd next like to engage in sex?

[ 03-31-2012, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. Didn't know if it was obvious or not if condoms didn't work. (Sexual intercourse is still new to me so little things definitely set me off, and this was no exception) I'll definitely pass on the message that there has to be space. at the tip, really don't want to take any chances.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries; there's so little sound sexuality info out there, it's very common to worry. Good on you for being careful and coming to get some good info. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And when you google to try to figure things out everything points to pregnancy so it's frustrating. I really appreciate this site and the community.
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, you can delete this post. I sometimes read a post then reply to it before I realise it's in Expert Advice sub-forum. Sorry about that.

[ 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Coffeeandativan: thank you for your kind words, and you're right; many people will spread pregnancy and sex myths all over the internet at any given chance.

In Heather's - the executive director and founder of this website - signature, you will see a link that says 'about me' which takes you a page with her real name and qualifications. Generally, if you read anything online and can't find the real name of the person providing the info - as well as something that details exactly how they are qualified to provide that info - it's sounds to disregard whatever they say as highly unreliable. [Smile]

[ 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------

coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Just wanted to pop back in and say that I had sex again and this time made sure that it was put on as directed by the article and everything went fine. [Smile]
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Yay! That's awesome. [Smile]

--------------------

coffeeandativan
Neophyte
Member # 73124

Icon 11 posted      Profile for coffeeandativan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope its ok that I ask another question here. This is so strange, I started bleeding again (not heavily or anything, more then spotting) and my cervix has been really high, pretty much unreachable since yesterday. Could this have something to do with being a little too aggressive in bed? I've never felt it this high, let alone for 2 days. :S

[ 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: coffeeandativan ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.