Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Confusion
WorryAlot
Neophyte
Member # 81200

Icon 8 posted      Profile for WorryAlot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are several posts on what constitutes a late period, but I'm confused because I have read conflicting answers.

I start a new pack (have been on the pill for over 6 months now) in my first week of the pill I took the pill 5 hours late, and then two days later I took the pill two hours late. On the my second week of pills, I had sex. Would this constitute a risk? If you are late taking the pills several times during your pack is there a significant risk? I have never missed a pill, just late taking it.

Thank you for your time. I'm sorry if this is a redundant question.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're on a combination pill, you should be okay with those times. Ideally, you want to stay as close to the same time as possible. A few hours off is unlikely to cause an issue. Being 5 hours late on a regular basis is probably not wise, but even if you had that happen once and one barely late (2 hours) you should probably be okay.

If you're concerned, you can always back up with condoms or another method to up your level of protection.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorryAlot
Neophyte
Member # 81200

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WorryAlot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your quick response
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.