Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Risk assesment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk assesment
Ronaldo54
Neophyte
Member # 95320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronaldo54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

My situation is as follows. Approximately four weeks ago I had unprotected oral (insertive partner) with a female, I am a male. And I also fingered her for quite some time, deep with my fingers.

My concern is not the oral as she did not appear to be bleeding nor did I have any cuts on my penis. My concern is during the fingering, I had used a finger that had a relatively new cut. I recall the cut being quite deep when I got it, but during the fingering it was not bleeding, it was a few hours old before I inserted them into her vagina.

I have also had protected vaginal sex with this girl on three seperate occasions months ago. Again, not too concerned about this since it was protected.

This girl, I have found out, gets around quite a bit. She told me shes had unprotected sex on three occasions.

Approximately three weeks since my encounter with her, I became incredibly ill. Fever of 102, chills, sore throat, fatigue, cough (already had a cough, but became even more dry) and sinus congestion. This made me quite concerned since I had already been sick 5 weeks prior to this. I went to the doctor and he stated I may have bronchitis, I started the medication that same day and began feeling better the following day. It is now the third day and I have no fever, minor chills, minor sore throat, still have the cough. I also requested an HIV test from him that day too.

My HIV test was done 24 days post-exposure. I have realized this may have been to early for a third gen elisa?

Now I realize when the mind goes into panic mode, it begins to create symptoms which arent necessarily there. So I will spare you on those.

I am wondering what my level of risk is?

Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best things my care provider ever told me is that when you hear hoof beats, you should think horses, not zebras. In other words, if there is an obvious, common answer, that's probably it rather than being the unusual one.

In this case, it sounds like some kind of virus or flu bug that you had which made you sick. It's still very much the time of year that those things are common. Given your symptoms and your care provider's assessment, it seems like bronchitis is likely. (Your still having a cough would fit with that diagnosis.)

Now, that's not to say that your worry is completely out in left field. As I'm sure you know, when we've got open wounds (even if they're not bleeding at the time), it's best to keep them clean, dry, and away from other people's mucus membranes and bodily fluids. When you've got a cut, you want it to be truly healed closed (several days rather than just a few hours) before you're putting that area into contact with other people. Bacterial infections and the like can be spread when we don't protect those openings in our skin. We can't give you an exact percentage on what (specifically) you may have been exposed to or exactly how high the risk might have been.

It would probably be wise to wait a few months and be retested. 24 days is fairly early and sometimes STIs can take a while (depends on the specific concern) to show up.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.