Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Switching BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switching BC
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past three months I've been on Lo Loestrin Fe. My dr switched me to that from Safyral (version of YAZ) because I was having some pretty bad anxiety. As soon as I started loestrin, about two weeks into the first pack I started to notice pretty frequent urination- I was going every 1 1/2 hrs and that hasn't stopped. I've even seen a urologist and all he recommended was to do a CT scan and see if I could have some bladder issue, but I don't think those things can just pop up out of nowhere. I went back to my OB/GYN and told him that I want to switch to a different pill. He prescribed Alesse but since that is not made anymore, the pharmacy gave me the generic Aviane. I'm supposed to start this pill tonight. I've been reading some reviews about it and I've been seeing some pretty negative side affects. Since Loestrin has given me a bad time, I'm scared about experiencing adverse side effects again. Are there any known issues with Aviane? I was also reading on http://www.drugs.com/mtm/aviane.html that it could possibly interact with vitamin c and tylenol- this kind of scares me because I take a multivitamin everyday and tylenol whenever I have pain/headaches. Neither my pharmacist or Dr said anything to me about this. Would appreciate the advice! Thank you!
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically with interactions like that, they're talking about concerns if you take them (Tylenol) regularly (or in the case of Vit C, in larger than daily recommended doses). However, the BEST thing to do would be to call or go to the pharmacy who filled your Rx and ask them specifically. They'll have the full data and can tell you what the interaction concern actually is. We don't know your medical history/full list of medications nor are we qualified here to say for sure either way for you as an individual.

In terms of the side effect reports you're seeing, to be honest, you'll find a TON of negative side effects reported with just about any medication if you start poking around online about it. Why is this? Because people who have problems tend to be the ones who comment. In other words, you're more likely to write a review when you're unhappy than when you're satisfied. So just because 90% (for example) of the reports you're seeing online say they've had X side effect, does NOT actually mean that 90% of patients experience that. Nor does it mean you'll experience that since bodies are so different and react in such different ways. As well, every medication has potential side effects. If you want to stay away from side effects, you have to stay away from meds.

Per the urination, bladder issues (any body issues really) can just seem to pop up out of nowhere. It happens. So if a urologist has suggested a scan, I'd go ahead and have that done anyway. It could be that you'd been brewing an issue for a while and it just now showed itself.

[ 03-18-2012, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the info- I did call the pharmacist and got it cleared out, but since then I've had another question. Last night I took my pill at 10 and around 10:30 I got these strange sort of liquid burps? I know it sounds gross [Frown] But sort of like reflux I guess where liquid was coming back up and filled my mouth. I didn't through up, and just swallowed but I'm wondering if it could affect the way my pill was absorbed and if I should consider it missed? Im kind of confused about this because it's never happened to me right after taking a pill this way.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digestion isn't that slow, so while I don't know that reflux or burping compromises the pill, period, I see no cause for concern here.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder, though: really, you seem to keep worrying about a lot of things with your pill I don't see cause for concern about. If you are taking your pill as directed on the insert, in the most basic ways, you can rest assured your pill will be as effective as it can be. Really.

When the pill fails, it is almost always because people aren't taking them on time, missing several without making any up, or missing often, or pretty much not taking them at all.

If you're taking it as directed and also backing up with condoms, you're basically more likely to get struck by lightening than you are to become pregnant when both are used properly and consistently.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thanks so much, Heather. I've just heard so many disasterous cases of birth control failing and women claiming to use them as properly as can be and all this info has just got me worried. I've also come across info in the past saying that it's possible for women to develop a gestational sac and show a baby on an ultrasound but not have any hcg in her blood, do you have any idea if this is possible? I'm just trying to understand this info for my own knowledge so that if I do have a scare, I can know that taking a pregnancy test after when my withdrawal bleed would be due, can be accurate so that I know that I am in fact not pregnant and not one of these few and far between cases. I know I come here with a lot of questions but I've had absolutely zero sexual education and I'm learning all this by myself for the first time ever.
Heather
Member # 3

Like I think we've talked about before, you really, really have to consider the source. I hear folks like you say that, but as someone who has worked in this field for a decade and a half solidly now, I have NOT heard "so many" cases. In fact, I have very, very rarely heard or seen anyone reporting, when a failure actually did happen, perfect use.

I *have* now and then -- SO now and then -- encountered women so fertile that no one hormonal method ever didn't fail them, but they are so rare, and again, they also weren't backing up with condoms or doubling with any method.

But mostly what I hear, almost entirely what I hear, from sound sources and people themselves who are being honest, is that failure happens just the way the statistics show it to: when methods are not used at all or are not used consistently or correctly.

Per the deal with the hcg levels, where did you read that?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I've read it on forums. I know it's not a reliable source which is why I'm now asking you if it's possible or not because I know that your information is much more trustworthy and reliable.

http://forums.families.com/pregnant-with-no-detectable-hcg,t122248&s=32280c7c9edfab49b603e323fa74e4d8&page=2&pagenumber=2

http://en.allexperts.com/q/ObGyn-Pregnancy-issues-1007/Pregnant-HCG-detected-possible.htm

http://ehealthforum.com/health/pregnancy-symptoms-but-no-detectable-hcg-t232166-a1.html#b

http://www.babyandbump.com/trying-to-conceive/737834-4-week-gestational-sac-negative-hcg.html

[ 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Heather
Member # 3

So, honestly? I'm not even going to look at those links. Not because I'm being a jerk (well, maybe I am), but because I know it'd be a waste of both of our time.

Unless at any of those links there are people who have any kind of education or work history in repro health or OB/GYN as a whole, or anyone citing ANY kind of research or study, it's just not even worth the effort to debunk, because there won't be anything TO debunk, you know? I mean, I can find forums talking about how the Holocaust didn't happen, too.

I think I've said this to you before, but I'd do yourself a favor and stop feeding what's obviously a lot of anxiety about this for you with things that you have to know by now are only going to make it worse. You have access to healthcare providers. You have access to health educators. You also probably have a life about something besides sex and your reproductive system. So, I think cruising forums for stuff like this instead of a) using the sound resources you have and b) focusing on OTHER things is just feeding your beast here, if you catch my drift. And not doing that is one very easy way you can really help yourself out a whole lot.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

This article might come in handy with some of this: http://lifehacker.com/146448/geek-to-live--ban-time+wasting-web-sites

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Totally understand what you're saying here- I guess since this is all new to me and since I know that if I do somehow become pregnant it would crush my family, I get really nervous about it and just want the facts. My physician is also not open to answering these types of questions for me so I really do have a lack of education. Is there any way that you could give me an answer to my quesiton, please? I'm not trying to be a jerk here either, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of if its really possible to have a sac or be pregnant without having any hcg in the system.
Heather
Member # 3

Didn't I connect you with a sexual health clinic on your area with free programs a while back? I'm pretty sure I did. If not, in CA you have a lot of that care ad education available, so if your current physician won't answer any questions for you, you have other options.

But when looking for facts, again, looking at forums where people posting have no credentials, even names you can check with, and aren't citing any kind of study is where you can know you are NOT likely to find factual information.

HcG levels can vary a lot from pregnancy to pregnancy, but by the time anything can be identified on an ultrasound -- usually four weeks into a pregnancy at the earliest -- if there was NO hCg detectable at all, for real, I'd expect we were looking at a pregnancy that was not going to advance or was already just not happening (a fetus that won't develop, or a miscarriage that already happened, with the sac left behind in whole or in part). But I'd more strongly suspect someone hadn't taken home pregnancy tests properly. You'd probably want to ask an OB/GYN who works in fertility about this -- that's not my bag -- but I'd be very surprised to hear any of them say that with a live, properly developing fetus on an ultrasound they could clearly see, they also found no levels of hCg in the blood at all.

I also think we have talked before about how at some point, it just doesn't make sense to keep engaging in any sex that could, even in the smallest risk, create a pregnancy when it is THIS scary to you. I want to set some of our own limits because I'm not comfortable potentially enabling you to keep making choices you very very obviously do not feel comfortable with, and think you only could with a level of education that's...well, the kind of education doctors have, well beyond what any of us really need in our daily lives, okay?

So, I'm going to ask you yet again to please consider if engaging in anything with ANY risk of pregnancy is really right for you right now. It seems very clear to me it isn't, so I'm having a hard time understanding why you keep putting yourself in this spot.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I'm sorry but I feel like every time I ask a question you get frustrated or upset with me. I've made it clear many times that I have had little to no sexual education and am really starting to discover all this on my own so I don't have anyone other than your service and the Internet to teach me on what is risky and what isn't. My doctors as I stated before have not been open to my questions and even when I have asked they have either laughed it off or taken a week to get back to me. I'm already shy about talking about any sexual relations and when I have a physician speaking back to me like I'm a 4 yr old and don't know anything, it can be very upsetting. I've stopped having any sex that can lead to pregnancy but I guess I still get worried from small risks like fingering and manual sex because I've read so much bad information out there. Anyways thank you for speaking to me about this and please let me know if I am no longer allowed to come back here and ask questions.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm not upset with you. I am a little frustrated because of the things I said above, but I also think that's okay. I hope it can be okay with you.

Manual sex doesn't pose ANY pregnancy risks. None. So, in alignment with what is accurate, if that kind of sex is all that's happening -- any kind BUT genital intercourse or sex where a partner is ejaculating into or onto your genitals -- let's stay clear that talking about pregnancy isn't sound, okay?

I also do think getting to a sexual health clinic like I've suggested here and before would be wise for you. You WOULD have someone else to talk to then, and in person, and they're not going to talk down to you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I've been to a planned parenthood but now that I have health insurance they won't see me and I've been to a local women's clinic and the NP essentially laughed at my questions last time. Do you have others in mind that you can tell me about in the Los Angeles County?
Heather
Member # 3

I sure do. (Also, though, PP usually accepts insurance, so if you liked it there, you should still be able to use their services.)

Why don't you search for the clinics offered through teensource (even if you're not a teen anymore): http://www.teensource.org/ts/find-a-clinic

They are fantastic people, and I assure you, that if you ask for an educational appointment and are plain about the fact that you often feel very scared about things because of a lack of sex education, they'll be great about your questions.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I also want to add, though, that while laughing at you is not an acceptable response, you may find that, as you have here, educators still may set limits, or state that certain things you are worried about are simply not sound to worry about, and going into something extensively that is simply not a sound concern or based on sound notions, isn't something they will be willing to do or feel is productive.

There are a lot of reasons for that, including limitations on time and funding, but also concerns about -- like I have viced here -- enabling things we suspect may only make anxieties worse, not better.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.