Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Effective 98% during the about day to day or month to month?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Effective 98% during the about day to day or month to month?
Member # 64098

Icon 6 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the fact that I have researched as much as I can about my birth control and posted many questions...I always seem to have more!

After reading what I have on Scarleteen about effectiveness of birth control (specifically Nuva Ring), I'd like to believe that my effectiveness (typically) has gotta be 97% to 98% on just Nuva by itself per year(I usually like to double up because I feel safer so that gives me about .01% chance of getting pregnant per year).

I have had my spouse ejaculate inside me without getting too worried now (even though getting pregnant at this point is way off my radar) and have felt fairly safe because if science serves me as best to its ability, I have less than a 3% chance of becoming pregnant (I am religious about getting my Ring in and out on time, give or take 5-10 minutes). I try to view this stat as a cancer survival rate. If I have a 3% chance of living that'll be pretty freakin' miraculous if I survive...just as I figure that God REALLY wants this baby to happen in my life if I use my birth control consistently.

My question is, how does this effectiveness work out from day to day and from month to month? I am technically not supposed to be ovulating and so I expect my withdrawl bleed at the same time every month and so it comes and I am told that the week without my NuvaRing I am also protected as long as I get my next one in on time...

If it works out to, say 3% chance per year if I just use Nuva by itself, how does that work out daily or monthly?

Sorry if my questions ar redundant, my thought processes sometimes take a minute to get a point across hehe. I hope this all makes sense. I just want to feel more secure and confident in the fact my birth control will do its job as long as I use it correctly...I always thought it was just so so so so so easy to get pregnant even on birth control especially when the male ejaculates into his partner (hence why I at times believe condoms are more reliable than hormonal birth semen inside, no baby, right? Stats say hormonal BC is better...). Obviously pregnancy on BC sometimes happens...but if birth control is supposed to work, why do I see so many people get pregnant and they're like "yeah it just happened..." LIKE DUDE! Confusing...

~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really no way to talk about "day to day" effectiveness when methods of contraception that don't work "at the time." Condoms you can, somewhat, because they are something you use then and there. But with things like birth control pills, the nuva ring, etc, they rely on the user properly using them each time and, therefore, it's over a year. You can't say "this time we had sex the pill was 94% effective and that time it was 89% effective. That's just not how it works. Even monthly that's not really how it works. You can't look at one specific sexual episode and know how well your hormonal birth control worked that time.

For people who claim to be getting pregnant on birth control there are usually a few things happening. One is simply that they were not using birth control and are saying that they were. The other is that they were using it incorrectly; not taking pills correctly or skipping them all together, not using condoms correctly, etc.

Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I guess so. I really try to make sure I am on time with mine so I am not entirely worried. It's just strange to hear about so many pregnancies while on birth control. Then again, the people whom I knew were having sex and did get pregnant were definitly not using it or ddn't think it would happen or didn't really care about using it correctly. Thanks for the tips.

~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right; those pregnancies usually occur due to birth control not be taken as directed.

Also, due to the large stimga that still exists if we choose to create a pregnancy when others decide we're too young; it's tempting to say we're had a birth control failure, when really, we've felt that creating a pregnancy is our best choice - but we don't feel safe disclosing that choice.

Another factor in this is reproductive coercion - a sexual partner may sabbotage contraception as part of abuse, or pressure another partner not to use it every time; or at all. Obviously this becomes difficult to talk about and process, so it may be easier to say it was a birth control failure when people ask.

That said, if you don't fell 100% comfortable with your BC method, it's always a sound idea to use a back up method; or only engage in the kinds of sex which don't carry pregnancy risks.

Here's some articles that might help: The Buddy System: Backing up you Birth Control with a Second Method, The Sex Readiness Checklist and How to Slow Down when you're Moving to Fast.

[ 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.