Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Do condoms slip?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do condoms slip?
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I posted about a week back because of my itching. Just some FYI: it was not an STI, just a case of dermatitis. Ouch!

Anyway, my question is this ... if a condom does not tear or slip off, can I be confident that there is no fluid transmission?

Why I'm asking is that my partner and I use condoms for all vaginal intercourse, but I notice that the semen is not always in the tip .. it kind of is near the shaft of the penis. Does this mean that it can leak out of the base? He always grabs the base upon withdrawal. I'm pretty worried over here! I know that a condom is very obvious when it breaks ... I just don't know if somehow semen can leak out of the ring if the condom is still in tact. Thanks!

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a condom is worn for all genital contact, was storied properly, looked fine when it was put on and does not break or slip off, the yep, you can be sure of that.

When you or your partner are putting condoms on, are you always leaving room in the tip? If so, what you're probably seeing is actually more lube (it gets a bit thicker and less clear with friction) than semen.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67932 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This particular time, he didn't leave too much room, but there was some. Is that cause for concern? Could that make it leak to the bottom?

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If enough room isn't left, then yeah, semen has nowhere -- or less of somewhere -- to go, so it can wind up pushed up the sides. So, sounds like you two might want to check in on proper condom use: leaving around half-inch is what to aim for, and most people can visualize that measurement easily.

If one doesn't do that, a condom can be more likely to break, or leak, but if it did either, you'd know. With semen getting all the way to the rim, that's something you'd both see when removing it.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67932 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Alright, I didn't really look, but he didn't mention anything. I'm kind of worried now. :/

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

Unless your partner is totally unconconcered about a pregnancy or STI or you think he has no idea what a condom failure might look like, from the sounds of things, I don't hear any cause for concern.

All I'm seeing here is a need for a little talk together to make sure they're used as best you can use them moving forward to help avoid condom failure.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Like I said, he always grabs the base and takes it out RIGHT after ejaculation, so even if it did get to the rim, I suppose it wouldn't really have time to go anywhere.

--------------------
xo.

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Thanks for your help, BTW [Smile]

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, there's certainly also no harm -- and potentially a lot of benefit -- in a reminder about leaving space. After all, just like sex, using condoms is something you do together that's about both of you. And if you're the partner who can become pregnant, it's en especially big deal to you. [Smile]

And you're welcome!

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holding the base of the condom before withdrawing is definitely good practice. [Smile]

Not sure if you want or need this, but if it's helpful, here's a how-to oor putting on condoms:

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.