Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » OK i have a question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK i have a question
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AABBCCDD51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have been on the pill before, I came off for one cycle. My period spotting starting, like a light pink spotting on a Monday night, I started my pill on Sunday night (I always take it at night) and I read this on planned parenthood.

If you start within five days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. You will not need to use a backup method of birth control. That means that if your period starts on a Wednesday morning, you can start the pill up to Monday morning to be protected right away. If you start at any other time during your menstrual cycle, you will be protected from pregnancy after seven days. Use another method of birth control —like a condom,female condom,diaphragm,or sponge —if you have vaginal intercourse during the first

Posts: 58 | From: 11235 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AABBCCDD51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My flow didn't become a real flow till Monday after I woke up which was like noon... am I still in the 5 day window because it'll be a week tomm night when I take my 7th pill and I really want to do it now lol [Frown]

It says within 5 days and your autimatically protected.

Posts: 58 | From: 11235 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you quit the pill for one month and then started up again? If that is the case, you cannot really expect a regular period or withdrawal bleed for a bit, anyway, as both quitting and starting the hormonal birth control can affect your cycle and cause irregular bleeding.

We actually recommend using back-up protection for at least the first week if you start on the first day of a period, and for the entire first month if you start at any other time in the cycle.

Have you had any sexual contact since starting the pill again?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Lol I had a completely normal period... it came at a irregular time like it did before I was on the pill 31 days after my withdrawl bleed and now I have no break thru bleeding or anything and I'm supposed to take my 6th pill tonight... I had come off because I didn't have the pill when my innactives ended so I waited for my period to get back on, I like sundays the pharmacy said start the Sunday after ur period begins, I had a light pink spotting on Monday night but my actual bleeding didn't start till Tuesday and on Sunday night I took my first active pill... and no I had no sexual contact yet...
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

I'm using condom & withdrawl with the bc anyway, when its effective, I just want the bc to be effective so everything else is back up
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Also i just spoke with my doctor she said she doesn't want me to be on the pill anymore she said I should try an IUD instead of something else
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

THIS Scares me, right off the paragard site, I don't want mirena: ParaGard® may attach to or go through the uterine wall and cause other problems. Although uncommon, pregnancy while using ParaGard® can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or fertility.
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

What makes it fail? If its in can it possibly fail? Do I still need condoms
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legally, Paragard is required to share all information about their product, but individual side effects are rare, and often occur in very specific situations.

I imagine that if your doctor is suggesting the IUD as the best option for you, she's doing it based on your individual health and contraceptive needs. Make sense?
?

Oh, and IUDs are 99% effective in preventing pregnancy, and because once they're in they don't require remembering to use them (such as the pill or the ring) they are consistently effective.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

i started this Sunday taking the pill I jus took my 7th pill I should be protected now right
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on when in your cycle you started it, the pIll is often effective after seven days, or after the entire cycle.

What are your plans re the pill after the discussion with your doctor aboutit not being good for you to take it anymore? Do you know why she doesn't want you to take it?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

it is the 7th day and im going on iud but im saying i took it the sunday after my period started and i took the 7th pill
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The pill is effective for many women after seven days, sometimes fewer. To be on the safe side, we do recommend using a back-up method for the whole first cycle.

Does this information help you decide?

--------------------
Robin

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

well i called my pharmacy and I explained the situation and they said I should be fine because I took the 7th pill...

couple hours after taking the 7th pill we had intercourse with a condom, the condom fits securely, it didnt break or slip off or anything, the base of his penis was wet tho where the condom wasnt covered he said that was me, I hope it was, I'm afraid it came in contact with my vagina while we was with me, but it would be only precum and he hadn't masturbated or had sex for 2 days prior and urinated before we had sex... also after urination the next day (today) we were in the tub and he precummed on my mons the water wasnt there but it was under us we washed off as soon as we noticed no intercourse occured just touching, and in 20 min i took my 8th pill, i mean the bcp does the exact same thing the morning after pill does anyway and my body respondes well to bcp so I should be good right

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The wetness around the base of the condom can come from vaginal secretions and the friction of intercourse.

It's not quite accurate to compare the morning after pill with birth control, but at the pharmacy said, you're covered. You also had no risky exposure.

--------------------
Robin

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Ok thank you
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Ok just to make sure, since I used the condom the first time, even if I wasn't on the pill I still don't have a viable risk right?

And for 2nd time, we were mostly in bath water but for a bit when the precum touched my mons we were above water then when I realized I had precum on my vagina I washed it off, this doesn't cause a risk right bcuz I was in bubble bath and he peed before, for both cases and no ejaculation occured

I'm asking about both situations if I waasnt on the pill

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on though: were you or were you not using the pill? (I ask because sticking to what actually was the situation is important. talking about situations you were not actually in just isn't sound.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

This happened after I took my 7th pill a couple hours after the condom one, the bath one was the next day and I took my 8th pill half hr after bcz I take my pills at night
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this was a 7ths or 8th pill of a pack that you were taking after not taking the pills for a while before or not?

If it WAS a new pack after a break without pills (not just your placebo break, I mean a month or more without taking pills), did you start this pack on the first day of your period or by or on the first Sunday after your period started?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

A month break and the Sunday after my period started but my period ended on satuday
Heather
Member # 3

Okay. So, you were taking your pill, but it might not have been fully effective. Let's figure you probably had the typical use rate of 92% (which is in a year, but still).

So, you had that, but you also had a condom on that first time, and that second time you were just sitting in a tub together not rubbing your genitals together.

So, we're not talking about likely any risk of pregnancy that second time, but that first time, two methods were used, even if not perfectly, so the risk of pregnancy would be very minimal.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

We weren't rubbing them together but they touched a couple times under water and then the other time it was resting on my mons and it had precum, oh god ima cry the stupid insert says 7 days wtf
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

And the first time he didn't ejaculate inside of me at all the condom didn't rip or fall off his base was wet and when we were doing it I'm afraid it touched my body that's all OMG I can't this is so stupid only me
Heather
Member # 3

So then the first time you were using the pill AND a condom AND withdrawal.

I don't know what you mean about what's stupid and only you, but what I'm seeing here is no cause for concern about pregnancy in these instances.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

Even tho his base was wet byt tge condom never slipped off he says its my liquid but I'm paranoud. And even if he precummed on my mons and I washed it off even he said he didn't touch that much when we were under waterr but. When some got on my mons it as above and we washed it off and I mean some ppl have sex raw and ejaculate and don't get preg and I try to be safe and it can. Happen to me
Heather
Member # 3

Well, anyone who has the mind of sex that can create a pregnancy, when they are someone who has the ability to become pregnant, can become pregnant. That's true.

However, a) they have to actually engage in that kind of sex and b) when using methods of contraception, it gets a lot less likely.

But it sounds to me like you really don't feel comfortable taking any of these risks at all. And that's okay: sometimes people don't, sometimes someone never does. That said, do you feel that for you, right now, engaging in close physical contact or sexual activity of any kind is something you can handle, and benefits you enough to make the kind of panic you're having afterwards worth it?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

I like doing it I just need a reliable birth control method I'm heading to my gyno as we speak to talk about the iud hopefully it can be installed today, I'm jus worried that I was pregnant now
Heather
Member # 3

Well, if you're going to your OB/GYN right now, they can run a pregnancy test for you, and if you're looking to have an IUD inserted (which they're not likely to be able to do today with no warning, mind), a pregnancy test and STI screening before is standard care.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

But if I had a risk this sat and Sunday would a pregnancy test work? Do u think I am? Oh no [Frown]
Heather
Member # 3

I think that you're having a hard time hearing me through your panic.

Like I have already said, I am seeing NO cause for concern about pregnancy with these situations.

You're right, it'd be too early to test, however, that is something your OB/GYN can do -- and will do -- before an IUD insertion (which is not likely to happen today if you are not scheduled for one today) if you remain concerned.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

I just gave them urine I'm so scared
Heather
Member # 3

I really think that if you are feeling this scared about what does not appear to have been one, any risk at all in the one case then 2) as small a risk as you'd have with an IUD, you would serve yourself VERY well to be talking with your healthcare providers right now instead of us.

You're there, it sounds like: this is what they do. And filling them in on your level of fear is important. Plus, these providers can give you in-person support right NOW if you ask for, and then you can also be paying attention to what's going on there, which is also pretty darn important.

Okay? So, I strongly suggest you put down your phone or laptop and utilize the in-person services you have access to right now.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

He said I'm fine and that's its too early to tell anyway
AABBCCDD51
Activist
Member # 94190

he said I took 7 pills before I had unprotected sex and that's good
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.