Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Found out bf is ten years older. Is it ok?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Found out bf is ten years older. Is it ok?
SunRainbowWomanhere133726
Neophyte
Member # 94633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRainbowWomanhere133726     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seventeen years old. I assumed that the man I've been seeing wasn't too much older than me when we met because he's in university, but I just found out that he's 27. We've already had sex, and I checked- our relationship is legal where I live.
I dont know whether I should stay with him or not. Is it gross? I know that I cant tell my mom his age, because she'll be freaked out and tell me to break up with him. Is she right?
Most of my friends tell me to break it off with him. I really like him, and he likes me. But I also dont like that I have to hide him from my family. Im really stuck.
Any words of advice?

--------------------
sunrainbowwomanwashere

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's certainly nothing "gross" about the two of you dating with an age difference.

I'm curious about how you feel about it, regardless of what other people say and how other people feel.

I'm also curious about whether you feel deceived, whether you think he may have intentionally not told you.

Knowing that he is that much older than you, how do you think this could affect the relationship. People who are seventeen are usually in very different places in their lives than are people who are twenty-seven. So again, how do you feel this changes your relationship to him, and the way you will relate to each other in the future asyou finish high school and move forward with your life?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRainbowWomanhere133726
Neophyte
Member # 94633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRainbowWomanhere133726     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like him. We have so much in common, and he's really interesting and respectful and mature. We both have goals we want to achieve before we settle down with someone, and he was in the army before he started university, and has now changed his major so we'll be in university together for a while. He is infatuated with me right now, and I think we're a very good match...but it does bother me that we may not have any support from my friends and family, because I do value their opinions and support too.
It's hurtful to me that I might not get support from the people I love on a matter really important to me, I guess is what Im trying to say. Especially because I value their opinions so much.

--------------------
sunrainbowwomanwashere

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.