Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Negative pregnancy test.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Negative pregnancy test..
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really have to know what the results on this one meant from the manufacturer. But if someone took two tests, and got one negative result, and one they weren't sure of, my best advice would be that they saw a healthcare provider for a "tiebreaker" test.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. And how about if there are multiple negatives after the iffy one? Same answer as the one before this?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once more, not knowing what "iffy" even means makes all of this problematic for me. Why not call that number and find out before asking more about it here?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay what should I ask? If the instant white line means positive?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

So I called the makers of the test and they said to disregard the white line so that's good. But what I'd like to know is if I look hard enough I feel like I can almost see a line where the positive would be but if it is a line it's so faint I can't even tell if it's colored. If it was positive would I be able to look at it without getting it right up next to my face to observe it? Thanks. And also I went to the doctors today and had a pelvic exam and pap smear. The doctor said it was all normal. With the pelvic exam in there would he be able to tell if you're pregnant from that? Thanks!
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How visible the positive result would be is something else you can ask the makers of the test.

Did you talk to the doctor about your fears of being pregnant?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

No, he didn't seem to have a concern with me possibly being so after I said when my last period was.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

And okay I can call ten again. Pretty sure they are negative though with no apparent color and so hard to see they may not even be there. If I take more though, and they're negative, can it be assumed negative is true?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes. As well, a pregnancy test is standard fare with an annual GYN visit and pap smear, so you likely got one at that visit, too.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Oh really? What kind of pregnancy test? Because all he did was a breast exam, felt my abdomen, checked my heart, pap smear, then pelvic exam. No blood or urine was taken.
Heather
Member # 3

That's pretty unusual with an annual GYN exam, then. Most typically, especially if the provider knows from your intake for you are sexually active, a pregnancy test is part of the exam.

That said, if you'd already mentioned how many you took yourself, I can see why a provider might figure there's no reason to take yet another.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

So from the pelvic exam they wouldn't have known anything? I said I had been sexually active but right now I'm not because that's true. I'm not currently although have been in the past.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, with a bimanual exam (part of a pelvic exam), one generally is going to be able to feel any mass in the uterus, too.

But if you haven't engaged in any kind of sexual activity recently, I really don't understand why we're having any conversation at all about potential pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay so since he said it felt normal then he didn't suspect pregnancy? And I guess I'm still just nervous I could be from that one risk. So you've never heard of a woman getting a negative urine test this long into pregnancy? And you've never heard of women having period like bleeding that lasts 4-5 days and still being pregnant?
Heather
Member # 3

What one risk? You're saying you haven't been sexually active here, so I'm feeling lost yet again.

What" long" into a pregnancy in this case?

If your GYN had suspected a pregnancy, I assure you, he would have run a test to confirm or refute that suspicion.

I will have one more exchange about this, but after this one, I really need to set a limit again. I feel like these conversations about a possible pregnancy for you have really been quite run into the ground, and as I have said before, if all of them and test after test aren't assuring you, I simply do not think anything will. Certainly not anything we can do here.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

The risk that I started all this worrying with about a month and a half ago, after which was when I decided not to be sexually active until I cn work out my issues. So that's the risk I'm referring to and that's "how long into pregnancy I would be" if I was pregnant. I really and truly am sorry I obsess over it. I just want to know if it's true that urine tests don't work for everyone especially this far into a potential pregnancy, and how likely the bleeding I described in a potetial pregnancy is. If you tell me with what I've given you I've experienced that's it's impossible to be pregnant because those things just don't happen if someone is pregnant I'll believe you, but I'd just like the previous few questions answered. Thank you and I'm sorry again.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a month and a half, and several pregnancy tests that all came out negative, plus a pelvic exam that didn't show any signs of pregnancy, you can be secure in knowing you're not pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thank you.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Hi I'm so sorry but this is the last thing I will post in this thread guaranteed. So you may not be able to tell me this but on the directions of the pregnancy tests I took, it says to take the test with the result window facing away from your body, but I think a few that I took it was facing my body (basically I peed on the opposite side of the stick than it said), could this completely negate my results?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dorey, as we've said - there are just too many tests out there. You're going to have to call them again, I'm afraid, and ask them your question. Or instead, you could buy another one and make sure you face the right way.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay so if I get another and it comes up negative, I can assume negative?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thanks!
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Also at this point past a risk ( which was jan 4th) would it matter if I didn't use fmu? I mean could I assume it's accurate regardless of time of day?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

??
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.