Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HPV in men

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV in men
EC
Activist
Member # 43338

Icon 4 posted      Profile for EC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend apparently has a strain of HPV that is "high-risk" for cervical cancer. I have performed oral sex on her and am now concerned about the possibility of contracting this virus. I did not understand the level of risk until researching online.

My understanding is that HPV-16 drastically increases the risk of oral cancer in men. Right now I don't know what number she has, but she is going to find out.

I am also concerned because I had a small cut in my mouth at the time.

We are in a committed relationship, and I believe that the only way to avoid HPV all-together is to abstain from any genital contact whatsoever. Am I putting myself at risk if we continue this activity? Am I already at risk?

Is there any information about the chances of transmission, or the chances that an infection will lead to oral cancer?

Thank you for your help.

[ 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: EC ]

Posts: 44 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EC
Activist
Member # 43338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with this issue, or able to point me in the right direction?
Posts: 44 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry this got missed, EC.

Per transmission, HPV is passed through skin-to-skin contact, so the cut you had in your mouth at the time doesn't really impact your level of risk. Unfortunately, I can't find any research which shows how much of a risk you may be looking at, but it is possible that you have been infected already.

However, it's important to know that much of the time, even the "high-risk" strains of HPV do not lead to cancer. Often, the virus is shed and the infection clears itself; the best thing you can do to reduce your risks from now on is to use latex barriers for all kinds of sex. That means condoms for intercourse, and dental dams or condoms for oral sex. While barriers don't eliminate the risk of transmitting HPV (and are less effective because it is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, not body fluids) they still reduce the risk by a significant amount.

You can read more about HPV here: The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

and about safer sex practices here: Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

You may also want to consider asking your doctor if the HPV vaccine is a good idea for you: Gardasil was developed for women, but it's been approved for use in men as well, and some reproductive health experts are now recommending that all young people, regardless of gender, be vaccinated.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EC
Activist
Member # 43338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your down-to-earth reply and practical advice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.