Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » I'm so scared :S

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm so scared :S
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Icon 9 posted      Profile for DoodlesOx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, ever since I got my period actually, i've been experiencing some painful cramps in my uterus.

I had an extremely painful period this month, which resulted in me feeling extremely nausous and I threw up.

Ever since, i've been getting these sharp pains in my uterus. Sometimes they feel like period cramps and other times, they feel different.
It happens all over, but mostly, I get this sharp pain on my right side.

I am going to the doctor very soon but I just want to prepare myself.

What COULD be wrong with me?
Also, even with a pelvic exam, my hymen is intact, so they couldnt preform that exam could they?

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I had bacterial vaginosis, I went to the doctor and she just took a swab, and said because of my hymen being intact, she couldnt do anything else.
But when the results came back, I was clear from both bv and yeast. So I just forgot about it. I have heavy discharge. Whatever right?
Well now, its even heavier and one thing I noticed was that during my period, it smells really bad. My discharge doesnt smell that much now, but its just heavy and im experiencing some really painful sharp pains, expecially on my right side.

What could be wrong with me? :S

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's awful and scary to be in pain like that and to not know what's going on. I am not a medical professional so any guess at what is going on with you would be uneducated at best, harmful at worst.

A couple of questions for you so I can understand what you're saying.

When did the pain start? I'm not sure if you're saying that it started with your last period, or if it started the first time you ever got a period.

Did you mention the pain to the doctor when you saw her the other week? What made you think you had bacterial vaginosis?

It is normal for people to feel nautious when they have menstrual cramps. I can only imagine how yucky that felt!

About the hymen: Yes, they can do a pelvic exam if someone's hymen is "intact". I'm wondering how your doctor concluded that yours is intact and that she couldn't do an exam. You can read more about what the hymen (which many people now all the corona) actually is in this Scarleteen article:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/my_corona_the_anatomy_formerly_known_as_the_hymen_the_myths_that_surround_it

And, for more about pelvic exams.

Your First Gynecologist Visit:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/your_first_gynecologist_visit

I know this is really, really scary. It's not fun to be in pain, and it's scary to think of what might be wrong. You said you're going to the doctor soon? Do you have an appointment? Do you have any support where you are, from family or friends? Can someone go with you to your appointment, if that would make you feel more comfortable?

One thing that a lot of people find helpful when dealin with possible medical problems is to write everything down that they're experiencing. Then they can give the list to the doctor and don't have to worry about remembering everything.

Please let us know how else we can help.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoodlesOx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It started with my last period, just about two weeks ago.
And at first, it was fine but it seems to have increased in pain.

When I went to the doctor, it was a while back, and I wasnt experiencing any cramps back then.
I just had really heavy discharge that I wasnt sure was normal so I checked it out.
But the tests came back negative so I just forgot about it.

The thing about it is, I dont really know if this counts, I had been feeling nautious right up to getting my period, and then had a very bad period and now I have these pains in my lower abdominal.
I understand that it could be a number of things, I would just like to get a picture of very common situations that could be causing this problem.

I also understand that my bladder, and my bowel happen to be down there too, but this seems lower than that.
The pain feels where my groin is, where my pubic hair is.
My mother reckons I pulled a muscle and that I just have aching muscles. When I explained that Ive had it for two weeks now, she said that muscles can take up to six weeks to heal.
I hate to disagree with my mother because she is a nurse but I dont think shes understanding whats happening here. My mother agreed to bring me to the doctor if the pain didnt clear up in a number of days.
But then again, I dont know how long she meant by 'a number of days' and knowing my mother, I wont be going anytime soon.
It doesnt feel like aching muscles, it feels like shooting pains. But then again, what do I know? I mean, she said that the whole groin area was all muscle so it must be just aching muscles. Maybe shes right. I would obviously prefere that but Im finding it hard to believe her.
When I first mentioned it to my mother, she said it was probably just a bladder infection but im really starting to get worried.
The pain is all over where my groin is, and then mostly on my right side of my groin, I get these sharp pains there.
But as im sure you've gathered, my mother isnt really being helpful to me when it comes to the supprortive side.
Im scared. Im really really scared of what it could be.
I mean...I couldnt have an STI right?
I've never had sex before...
I understand that you can get STI's from manuel sex, which I have had but he washed his hands right before.
One illness that im am TERRIFIED of having is PID.
I dont even know why I would be thinking I might have that but Im just so scared.

Oh and the doctor concluded that my hymen was intact because at the time, I had not engaged in any type of sex, not even manual at the time so that must of how she assumed. Thats my guess anyway.

[ 12-26-2011, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: DoodlesOx ]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It absolutely is scary, and even more so, from the sounds of things, because your Mom is dismissing what you're saying. She's certainly right that there are a lot of muscles down there. Did you use the words "shooting pains" when you talked to her? It also concerns me that your Mom didn't think a bladder infection, more commonly known as a urinary tract infectoin or UTI, was a serious thing. They're pretty common, but should usually be evaluated. Because your Mom mentioned it, I'm giving you a link to read more about UTIs.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/i_think_i_have_a_uti_what_should_i_do

You're right that there are some STIs you can get from manual sex. Just to clarify, because I don't want to make any assumptions, you're saying that the only kind of sexual activity involving your genitals was him touching you? And bravo to him for washing his hands, by the way!!!

The likelyhood that you would get PID from that (PID is usually caused by having another STI) is pretty low. Again, knowledge is power so here's a link.

The Sti Files: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/infection/the_sti_files_pelvic_inflammatory_disease_pid

I'm giving you these links so you have more information, but one of the reasons that I'm not hazarding a guess as to what it could be is that sometimes that turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy. I've heard that people who enter medical school all the sudden diagnose themselves with all the diseases and conditions they learn about. [Smile]

I am concerned, though, because it sounds like you really, really don't feel well.Sometimes the stress of worrying about what something could be makes us feel worse, but it does sond like you've felt icky for a couple of weeks now and it's not getting better. How do you think it would be to list your symptoms to your Mom the way you're doing here (you don't have to tell her you're worried about STIs if you don't feel good about that) and tell her that you would just feel better if the doctor took a look at you?

Oh, and by the way, the intactness of a hymen is rarely really connected to sexual activity. It frustrates me that doctors stil think so. As it says in the article I linked you to before, the hymen isn't a solid thing, and can get stretched out by all sorts of things.

Let me know what you think of this and how you're feeling today.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoodlesOx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont get me wrong, my mother would certainly be alarmed and helpful if she felt there was something seriously wrong here. But she knows I get stressed out and that I am a bit of a hyprochondriac. And so freak out maybe more than I should. So when I go to my mom, shes so used to me coming to her with different illness that she's got very tired of it.
But this hasnt gone away and I have remained very calm about it all.
Its not agonising pain where im crippling over, thank heavens but it is quite painful, and like I said, shooting pains.
Now, when I go to pee, i've noticed that I get the cramps more, just after I pee, and they also feel a little higher up than usual.
But right now, as im typing this, im experiencing some sharp pains in my groin area..could it be pulled muscles? I mean, where im talking about, where my pubic hair is, is there any organs specifically down there at that spot?
And yes, i've only had manual sex, nothing else.
I mean, i've also had bowel problems in the past, and my dad has also has a condition where he has ulcers on his bowel.
Could it be to do with my bowel also? Because I have had very painful cramps before but they were higher up in my belly, rather than lower down.
My mother said to start drinking lots of water and it will clear out OR now what shes saying is that its pulled muscles and that its nothing to worry about.
Although I am worrying because this obviously isnt normal.
I would just love to know what organ to begin with, I mean, that would be a start anyway.
I understand it could be a number of organs but where the groin area is? And mostly on the right side of my groin.
I mean, pulling a muscle in my groin, what pain would that be like?

Also, they seem to feel better when I sit down, and when I get up, and when I go to the toilet, it feels worse.
And the cramps come and go, there not constantly there.

Also, could it be due to the fact that I could be stressing out about it?
I mean, I dont feel stressed, I feel alittle worried but I dont feel that stressed. But could that also be another reason why it hasnt gone away?
I know that stress/the mind is a powerful thing,and so I could be just worrying about it so much that im causing all this but...then again, I dont feel like im THAT freaking out about it you know?

[ 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: DoodlesOx ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Stresss can always do strange things to our bodies. Sometimes, it hits us in areas that are already not feeling good.

I do realize that you really, really want to know what this is, but the only way to determine that is to be examined by a health care professional. I'm not a doctor, and even if I was, it wouldn't be professional for me to diagnose you on the Web.

I do understand how scared you are. I'ts not fun being in pain!!!! [Frown]

Do you think it would help you feel better to go to a doctor? I know you said your Mom doesn't think this is a big deal, but it sounds like you do, and it's your body. i'm wondering: Can you make an appointment and get to a doctor on your own? I'm not really clear on whether you need your MOm's help to do that, or whether you just want to have her support.

Take a deep breath and think about how *you* want to deal with this, not what your Mom thinks, not even what I'm saying, but what is going to feel best for you.

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

One more thing: Remember how I said that your doctor wasn't correct that she can't give you a pelvic exam since you've never had penetrative sex? It might be time to work on seeing if you can get another doctor, at least for a pelvic exam if you're thinking that that's something you want.

--------------------
Robin

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(In other words, something like that sounds like a physician letting you know they're wither without or very behind in the kind of education they need to serve you well in that area.

Mind, an OB/GYN may see you and determine you don't need a pelvic for a host of reasons, but just not having intercourse isn't usually one of them, and when that is the reason, it's about a lack of risks that make that exam needed, not about a hymen, especially when a doctor hasn't done a visual exam to know anything about the state of your hymen. An OB/GYN or other doctor with sound education about that anatomy knows the state of someone's hymen often has nothing to do with whether or not they have had PIV intercourse, AND that a menstruating person absolutely does not have a fully intact hymen, otherwise you couldn't have menstrual flow.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Well, the problem isnt really about going to the doctor on my own, its the money.
Its 50 euro per appointment, and that doesnt include perscription if needed.

The pain has also now hit into my lower back and my mam thought it must of spread into my kidneys.
Being a nurse, she took some samples of my urine and tested, but the results came back negative for a kidney infection.
She said she was going to send another sample off to the lab to test for bacteria.

But something has really started to worry me now, my mother mentioned about this being pregnancy symptoms, and she got me really freaked.
She asked me whether or not I had had a pregnancy risk and I said no.
But just to make sure, regarding my previous topic about a possible pregnancy risk, could these be symtoms of pregnancy?
She also went on to say how women can get 'periods' in which they bleed exactly like their period for nine months, and therefore, sometimes women dont realise that they are pregnant..is this true?
Since some of the tests came back negative for a kidney infection, could these be symtoms of pregnancy? :S

[ 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: DoodlesOx ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Just to clarify, the only kind of sexual experience you've had with a partner is with a partner touching your genitals with his hand? If this is the case, than there is no pregnancy risk. pregnancy risks involve contact between a guy's semen (which contains sperm) and your genital area, specifically your vagina. So, this would usually happen during intercourse, and could happen if partners are rubbing their bare genitals together.

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Also, here's an article about pregnancy scares that will give you more information about the situations in which pregnancy can and cannot occur.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/whats_the_risk_easy_pregnancy_risk_assessments

--------------------
Robin

DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Well yes, but I did have on incident where I was dryhumping with my boyfriend -which I didnt really consider in such strong terms as a type of sex- and in which I was wearing thinly knitted tights and my underwear had a small whole in it that I wasnt aware of, it was about the size of a pea and my concern was that maybe his penis had slipped out of his boxers and touched me in the genital area. Because he had a rather large erection and it was quite possible, he didnt ejaculate though.
I understand that I was told the risk was extremely unlikely and i've come to accept that and move on, until now when my mother mentioned it.
I mean, I had that incident, then 3 days later, I had my period, then a week later,i've had these really bad pains.
And if the tests for a kidney infection came back negative, I really am just lost.
I'd believe anything at this stage.
Its both in my lower back and my groin area where my pubic hair is.
So just to eliminate that would be very helpful.

DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

hello?
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had your period AFTER the activity that had the risk, then you are not pregnant.

Having a period is one of the signs that means pregnancy has not happened.

Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

Alright thank you, so it couldnt be pregnancy symtoms.

If it is a UTI like my mother suspects, shouldnt I be feeling a burning sensation when peeing or something?
I just have these pains in my groin area, and they are now in my lower back [Frown]
Is this a normal sign of a UTI?

Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And also, somebody please correct me if I am mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the symptoms of pregnancy (other than the missed period) being noticeable after (2 weeks, was it?) is very unusual, even if a person is pregnant.
Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

And on the UTI concerns, I'd contact a health professional to ask that. You could call in and ask your doctor? I'm sure they would be able to provide you with any information concerning that you need, including what the symptoms are and such.
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

And yes, it has only been a little over two weeks so you're right, thank you.
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

And also, you said earlier that you had funny smelling/looking discharge? Because that COULD be a symptom of a vaginal infection (I'm pretty sure), which your doctor can clarify for you.
DoodlesOx
Activist
Member # 75163

I understand that having your period rules out pregnancy but what my mother said is haunting me.
Can you really bleed exactly like a period during pregnancy?
Im asking this just out of curiousity more than me thinking im pregnant [Razz]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There are women who have monthly bleeds during pregnancy, but it's rare perhaps even more than rare.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.