Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late Bleed after Continuous Pill Use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Bleed after Continuous Pill Use
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the pill for a good few years now and haven't had any problems, however i had a couple of occasions recently where i wanted to skip withdrawal bleeds so i did this two months in a row, i have now taken a pack of pills and stopped waiting for my usual withdrawal bleed which should have came last night, but there is no sign of it yet, i'm starting to panic a bit.
I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago because i was having cramps for no reason and it was negative but now i am very worried.
I had been having sex beforehand but thought i had been protected using the pill for the most part condoms were used or he pulled out, but once i think he finished inside me and it was about 22 days before i took the test.
Could my bleed be late due to having continuously used the pill for those 2 months or am i at risk?

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to clarify, just so I'm understanding what you have over there. Are you using the kind of birth control pill that has placebo (inactive)pills you take during your withdrawal bleed, or do you just stop taking pills, have your withdrawal bleed, then start again. I'm imagining it's the second situation for you, from what you describe, but I just wanted to clarify.

If you continuously took hormonal birth control for two months without any missed pills, your risk of pregnancy is low to nonexistent. The effectiveness of birth control pills is very high when taken properly. From what you said, it sounds as if you took the hormonal pils every day. If so, coupled with the negative pregnancy test you took, it seems reasonable to imagine that you're not pregnant, but please don't take my word for it. [Smile] If it would make you feel better, and you're able to, you could go to a clinic or doctor to make sure.

With that said, it's important to remember that the pill has some pretty tremendous hormonal effects. Sometimes the withdrawal bleed can take a little time to arrive.

I'm giving you some links below to some articles we've published on Scarleteen so you can read more about the pill and how it works.

But before I do: I know you didn't ask about this, but it caught my eye as I wasw reading your question. You mentioned that sometimes your partner pulls out before he ejaculates. It's important to know that the pre-ejaculate, the fluid that often comes out before ejaculation, can potentially have sperm in it. One of the links I'm listing below is an article about the risk-prevention for using two different birth control methods at once. It's pretty number heavy, but you might find it helpful and reassuring.

If your bleed doesn't start in the next day or two, it is important to see a doctor. Whether it's pregnancy or not, it's always important to have your body checked out when it does something out of the norm.

Okay, here are the links. Please feel free to let me know if I didn't understand your question properly or you have more questions.
Some links about the Pill:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/three_questions_about_taking_the_birth_control_pill_and_plenty_of_answers
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/i_started_the_pill_in_the_middle_of_my_cycle_wheres_my_period
http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2010/04/01/a_very_important_note_on_menstrual_suppression
Quick Hits: Questions and Answers on the Pill
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/quick_hits_questions_and_answers_on_the_pill

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up your Birth Control Method
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.