Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Stopped Birth Control - Missed Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stopped Birth Control - Missed Periods
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 11 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my birth control religiously for about a year. It was extremely rare that I missed a pill. When I started college, I also stopped taking my birth control. Since I started in early August, I have not had a period. I have had sex once since August, but I used protection. I took two pregnancy tests after I had sex to make sure I wasn't pregnant: one 3 weeks after the fact, and once about a week after that. It's been about 4 and 1/2 months since I've had a period, and I've always been pretty regular. I haven't had any signs or symptoms of my period coming anytime soon. What could be delaying my period?? Should I see a doctor?
Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, since it has been so long since you have had your period I would recommend seeing a doctor.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could stopping my birth control like that make me stop having periods for a while?? I've done some research and many women claim that it takes a little while before they get their period back... what causes a missed period?

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming off birth control can cause your period to go missing for a little while, but it would still be very important to check in with a healthcare provider as soon as possible to make sure nothing is wrong.

More info: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

[ 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: -Firefly- ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for replying... sorry to bug u guys again, but I have one more detail I forgot to put in before: I have some problems sleeping sometimes because of my severe anxiety and my mom sometimes lets me take some of her Zolpidem. I take it at least once a week. I'm scared that if I go get a blood test done, it will come up and I will be in some serious trouble... so now I'm wondering if it will even show up in the test. I don't know if that has anything to do with me missing my periods, either.

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries - you're not bugging us [Smile]

I don't know if this medication would show up in blood tests unfortunately. The best person to talk to would likely be a pharmacist. You likely don't have to reveal your identity to them so you can ask without worrying about getting in trouble. You could also ask about any effect on menstruation.

You may already know this, but it can be really dangerous to take this kind of medication if it has not been prescribed to you. When doctors prescribe this stuff, they'll generally do it with full knowledge of the person's health background and know whether there is anything that could be dangerous. Have you ever talked to your doctor about your anxiety? They would likely be able to evaluate you and see what you could take that would help.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.