Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom brands and breakage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom brands and breakage
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure if I should keep talking on my own topic..or start a new one since it's slightly different. But here goes!

The boyfriend and I had a little talk. He's willing to keep using condoms once I get on the pills. Now, if he keeps this opinion, we will find out later. I think he will.

I won't be able to start taking the pill until my period, which should be in a couple of weeks. Until then, I want to try out some new condom brands. I live in a pretty small town with not many options, and I've been seeing around this board that Durex is a good brand?

I've only used Trojan, and that broke once, and I don't really want to relive that. So my questions are..

1) Has anyone experienced any breakage on Durex? I read at condomdepot.com that though most of the reviews are great, there were a few people who warned about it breaking. I thought breakages weren't supposed to happen that often? But these people said that they took "all the precautions" and it still broke. Pretty scared..

2) Should I use extra lube even though it's advertised as "premium lubricated" or something? Wouldn't extra lube be more cause for it to slip off? Or would it reduce breakage?

I only get so paranoid about it since I'm not on the pill yet. I will be sometime soon. Hopefully. Unless something bad happens with my health and I have to wait another month.

Thank you for all the help!

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I've heard as breakage looking like the condom was shredded, but you know, the weird thing was, with our Trojan condom, it was perfectly intact. It was just at the tip there was a 2 cm or larger hole. Big enough to let all the sperm out. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing. How does that even happen that perfectly?? Bad luck? Or just too vigorous/dry sex?
Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Trojan and Durex are good brands. What condom works best for you is really more of a preference thing than anything else, and your best bet would actually be to just try a few different condoms and experiment with them. You can get variety packs online, so you don't have to buy a box of each brand just to try.

With all condoms, the most important thing when it comes to protecting from breakage is how you use it. This article covers all the important points:
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Ok, thank you!

But as far as putting lube inside a condom, will it be more likely to slip off?

And if they're already lubricated, should I even bother with buying a separate lube?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you don't want to put a whole lot of lube on the inside of the condom, but a small drop is a good idea.

And yes, you'll still want to get separate lube. There isn't very much lube on the condom, so it's good to use some extra. Too, that way you can add more throughout as needed.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Just wanna say, we bought our first Durex condoms and a tube of Astroglide and akdslfeoiwgej omg. Best thing ever. Thanks for convincing me to invest in some lube! And we had no breaks, thank the Lord. Thank you for all your advice!
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

So glad to hear it! You are welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.