Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » contraceptive pill and antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: contraceptive pill and antibiotics
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently prescribed amoxicillin for a chest infection and I'm 3 days into the 7 day course. I attended an emergency GP as my ear drum burst as a result of the infection, the GP didn't mention anything about the antibiotics affecting the pill.

The last time I was prescribed antibiotics I was told to take extra precautions such as condoms to prevent pregnancy. I quickly researched this on the internet earlier on and I found that the NHS now say that the contraceptive pill is only affected by 2 types of antibiotic, neither of which are the ones I'm taking.

Here is the link to the information I found.

I'm assuming that as I was given no advice from the doctor that this information is correct, however I just wanted to double check.

Also, as I'm coming towards the end of my pill pack for this month, it will end on Tuesday, and my antibiotics end on Wednesday do i skip the placebo week and carry on into the next pack? Will this be safe as I skipped my last 2 periods because it was necessary.

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The information on which antibiotics interact and to what extent is currently changing due to new research, so it's hard to give a definite answer.

Amoxicillin has been one of the antibiotics considered to potentially interact with the birth control pill. That doesn't mean that you are completely without protection, just that the level or protection may be slightly lower. So what you'll want to do is back up with condoms until you've started the new pack.

If you want to be extra sure, it's also a smart idea to call the pharmacist or your prescribing doctor to double check on this. And in the future, even if the doctor doesn't ask for it, you'll always want to mention any medication you are on when you are prescribed something new.

As for the pill, you'll want to keep taking that as you have been. If you've been skipping the withdrawal week (also I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was necessary) and you've discussed that with your doctor and they've given you the green light on it, you can also continue to do that now.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 82237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxbebogirlxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I'm taking the pill Dianette and had sex thursday night. I took Diflucan pill on the friday to treat thrush. Would I have been protected during sex on the thursday or could i be at risk if pregnancy? thanks

Posts: 3 | From: cork | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time you have a question about your pill's effectiveness you want to talk to your pharmacist or doctor. So you'll want to call and ask them - they'll be best to tell you.

"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.