Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Do I have a Bartholin's Cyst?? Please help :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I have a Bartholin's Cyst?? Please help :(
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a total bizarre reaction last month. I had itching and swelling on my entire vulva. The left side is worse than the right. I called the Gynecologist and was able to get in that day. I took pictures to show my doctor, since the time before it went away in an hour. I was swollen 10x my normal size. By the time I got to my gyno the swelling was completely down, she said she couldn't believe it ever looked like the pictures I showed her. She said it must have been an allergic reaction and gave me a cream perscription to use. The itching is so bad I can't even stand it .

I was fine for a while, last week I went to my regular appointment and was asked if I had a reaction again, and I haven't had it happen since. Two days after that it happened again. like i said the left side is worse than the right and its extremely itchy, tender and feels like there's a lump on that side. Is this common for Bartholin cysts to cause the itching , swelling, and now a lump? What are the symtoms? If it's not the bartholin cyst what could it possibly be? I've been tested for std's and have no signs of infection. I just know it has to be something more than just an allergy. Please help. Thank you

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Bartholin's cyst doesn't generally cause itching or generalized swelling like you're describing: rather, they're usually very obvious lumps in one spot, just beside the vaginal opening. Is the lump there when the itching and more general swelling is gone?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5752 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, It's gone when all the swelling and itching subsides. I'm so confused about what this could be [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

could someone offer an opinion of anything that can be causing this? please [Frown]

--------------------

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a doctor is going to be the best one to offer advice on what this might be. We aren't doctors here and even if we were we can't diagnose over the internet. If you would like second opinion you can see another doctor.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 870 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.