Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control cycle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control cycle
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I just have a couple questions about birth control. I use the Pill and I was wondering: does it mimic your normal cycle, the cycle you would have if you weren't taking birth control? Like, are their times when you are more fertile than others, or when having sex without a condom have a higher risk of pregnancy?

My partner and I want to try sex without a condom. We've both been tested and are clear and clean. I'm just trying to minimize risk.

I was also wondering if there's another back up method of contraception I could use that is easily purchased/accessible, but is not a condom. I know there are other forms of contraception, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Thanks very much in advance for all your help!

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The combination pill works primarily in three ways:
1. Prevents ovulation,
2. Thickens cervical mucus to make sperm less able to get into the cervix,
3. Makes the lining of the uterus thinner and thus, less hospitable for a fertilized egg to implant in (if the other two effects somehow failed, which is rare).

When you are not on the pill your cycle is due to ovulation, so you are more likely to get pregnant around ovulation time, but on it you are not ovulating, so there are no times where you are more or less fertile than others. When you bleed, it is withdrawal from the hormones and so is controlled to happen during your placebo pills. That makes the cycle length 28 days no matter what your normal cycle would be.

We have some great articles to help you find a backup method to use with birth control:
Birth Control Bingo!
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

[ 08-18-2011, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I had seen those articles around here! I just couldn't find them. Thank you so much!
Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Hello again!

I just wanted to alert you to something concerning the Birth Control Bingo page you gave me. When I get to this page: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_whats_the_right_barrier_method_for_me_that_is_not_condoms and I click on "click here" after the question "Would you prefer, do you need or can you manage a method which you can obtain either over the counter or through mail-order?", it tells me the page cannot be found. I don't know if the page has been taken down or whether it's a coding error or anything like that. I just wanted to let you know that the page is not fully functional.

Thanks for all your help!

JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Also, one more quick question: what the difference between typical use and perfect use, especially concerning the Pill? I've never missed a Pill, although sometimes I take it at different times (rarely, though...usually I take it between the hours of 10 and 2, no later than 5). Which category would I fall under?
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reporting on that broken link JB! I fixed it so you can follow it if you want.

Perfect use means you don't miss pills, and you take it at the same time each day within a few hours. It's not really considered "late" unless it's more than 12 hours later. If you take it at 8 hours later than normal sometimes then you are probably somewhere in between the perfect use and the typical use rate.
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/three_questions_about_taking_the_birth_control_pill_and_plenty_of_answers

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Most excellent, thanks very much!!
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

And am I right in understanding that Lea's Shield can be used without spermicide? I'm kind of prone to yeast infections and I'm nervous about using spermicide. I know that without the spermicide, Lea's Shield isn't as effective, but I'm looking for a back up method and I'm very consistent with the Pill.
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

According to everything I've read, Lea's Shield is made to be used with spermicide. I'm not sure if it's a good fit if you don't want to use spermicide, I can't even find it's effective rates without it.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Alright, thanks very much!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.