Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovulation question..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation question..
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I was wondering about something. I have been keeping up with my cervical mucus patterns since the beginning of this year and I have found that I usually follow a typical pattern. At day 9-15 in my cycle, I will start to see the egg white cervical mucus and then get a period about 2 weeks later. However, while I usually get the egg white mucus for maybe 2 days, sometimes, like this month, I will see it for up to 5 days. Is this normal? It isn't excessive or anything, and never is, but I have just noticed it since Friday and after Sunday, I thought it was over...then yesterday I produced more of it. Is there any way without taking temperatures, to know when ovulation took place during those days? Thanks.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that variation is normal. Is there a reason you don't want to take temperatures?

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually plan on doing the whole package with the temperatures and the charting, I just don't have all the supplies yet so I missed my opportunity to start doing it this month. I was just wondering if you should have that many days of fertile mucus. I mean, your egg should only be viable for about 24 hours right? Common sense should tell me that you can't go by fertile mucus alone to determine the exact time of ovulation but I was just wondering if there were any other signs other than your temperature because I would like to know when in those 5 days of mucus that I ovulated.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Also, should the fertile fluid dry up very quickly? For instance, the last time I saw the fertile fluid, was on Tuesday, so by yesterday, I dried up drastically. Just trying to figure out how all this works [Smile]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused by what you mean by drying up very quickly. I hear you saying you usually see what you think is cm for 2-5 days. Are you saying that seems quick to you?

If so, that doesn't sound quick to me. It sounds typical.

If you're starting charting like this, have you yet picked up a good book about it? If not, I'd advise that. Toni Weschler's "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is my personal favorite (and Toni is just awesome people), but Katie Singer's "Garden of Fertility" is also excellent.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Thanks for the book recs! I hope they are affordable on Amazon so that I can pick them up and use them for my next cycle. What I meant about it drying up, I didn't mean that I dried up abnormally. I mean, it's normal for your mucus to become drier after you ovulate but I notice a drastic change in my mucus within 24 hours of lasting seeing my fertile mucus. I also thought that maybe 5 days was a bit long to see that kind of mucus. Just wanted to know if that sounded typical or not. I am having a better month with the irrational pregnancy stuff that has been going on with me. I am really getting into this fertility stuff and it is making me feel better to know more about my body. Therapy is also going well. I stated right from the get go that I wanted to talk about this pregnancy anxiety first...so the past couple sessions, that is all we talked about. Hopefully I can get a handle on this. Thank you guys so much for all the help you have given me, it is so appreciated!
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got a used book store in your area, you may want to check there before you pay full price. My local spot usually has 3 or 4 copies of 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' at any given time.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Thanks for the tip. There actually is a huge used book store in a city nearby that I will try to check this weekend.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.